The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
shelby987

no good deed......

goes unpunished. I got home from work about 4pm on sat.....sit down, start having a beer to push the thought of work on a sat. out of my mind....when there is a banging on my door......I live on a dirt road, in the middle of NO WHERE.....so this is truely a surprise to me.....I open to door to see this guy covered in mud and bleeding asking for help....I thought he was hurt....turns out he just slightly cut himself trying to get his van out of the mud. While looking at some property up the road, he and his wife ventured a little too far off of the gravel driveway, and ditched thier brand new ford minivan about a foot deep into mud.....I said I would try to help....got the roap and some rachet straps.....(didn't have a tow strap handy)....well, broke both of those.....had to go buy a tow strap....get back and give it another try....I tried staying on the gravel for traction....but everyone had decided that pulling inline with the van, and not at an angle was the only way it was gonna work.....well....inline was a mud puddle.....after some serious hard throttle pulls, I had buried my truck up to the axle housings....and had become entangled in such a way that if I tried to go in reverse...i would hit the van....to my right was a tree that my truck was actually resting against....and with near bald tires I wasn't able to go anymore forward in the mud.....to speed it up a bit, we drive the couple home and everyone agrees that to save them some $$$ we will set it up to have a tow truck driver come with a winch to pull the van and my truck out on monday....they were very appologetic, and offered to pay for the truck tow, and some money for my troubles, I told them not to worry about the money, I was just sorry we couldn't get them out.....well, yesterday I go to check on my truck.....they showed up sometime in the night/early morning, got their van pulled out, left me there without so much as a note or phone call.
Fortunately now that I could go in reverse, a couple of hard throttle runs in reverse and 4lo got me out after 5-10 mins of trying.......
well, it made for an interesting day....and I must say, 3 on the tree shifters are AWESOME for playing in the mud! This has also convinced me that it is time to invest in a lift, some tires....and possibly a winch of my own....on the up side...I got to keep the tow strap!
1993 Olds. Cutlass Ciera Wagon Traded 2006
2003 Saturn L200 w/5pd. D/D
My list spans 5 decades with One common thread.....GM!
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
cowboy33713

Re: no good deed......

Howdy;
I have to shake my head when I hear of such things! Reminds me of the line in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket", when Joker speaks of "..the duality of man. The Yin-Yan thing". Some folks help, some folks are users without consideration. Sounds like you found one at your door!
cowboy33713
cowboy33713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
69-350
Oil trash and damn proud of it

reminds me of a time I was out playin in the mud in my Blazer. toolin around, come across some lady stuck in some mud (not in the middle of nowhere, just pretty much in town) in her little Dakota deal. I offered her help, and went to go grab my dad's towrope, and then decided "hey, it's suppertime" and forgot about her. oh well, I bet she was out with somebody gettin high out there, as nobody in their right mind would be out there and be dumb enough to get stuck there (except me, but I've never been high or nothin, I'm just crazy, haha)

moral of the story... don't get stuck in stupid places... especially when it's a fat kid's suppertime, haha

1997 K1500 Z71, 14 bolt SF 3.73 posi, Bright Blue Metallic. 6" Superlift
1972 C-10, toolbox, p/s, 350/TH350/3.73 open, black int., bronze
2008 Dodge MegaCab. H&S tuned 6.7 Cummins. Fast Four Tons

Some of my pics http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/69-350/
69-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #4
RicksTrucks

Sometimes it pays to be helpful. A few years back we were heading back to deer camp to break camp and head home. It was almost dark. On the way we ran into a family with a small kid. Their vehicle had broken down and we were in the middle of nowhere. Packed up camp and gave them a ride home. They gave us a whole bunch of venison. Great since we didn't shoot anything that week.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
69_hafton
Sleep-Deprived

Great story! Not so great timing for you, but I'd be surprised if they buy the property...
69_hafton is offline   Reply With Quote