The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Question Who had this column?!

I am going to replace my column - everything from the stock steering wheel down to the rag joint connecting to the PS gearbox (will be for sale too! ) I recently saw a picture here at the forum of someone who had this sweet looking setup with a couple of universal joints between the firewall and gearbox...anyone know what I'm talking about? Could the owner of that truck please stand up, please stand up? From what he was saying, the U-joint setup was way tighter than the straight bar setup.

FTR, I don't want to use a van tilt. I want to go a little more "nu-skool" than that. I also don't want to spend $700 on it (just spent that getting my fuel situation taken care of).

I'd love to see pics of aftermarket tilt or non-tilt columns if you have them - even if the application is from another late-model vehicle or whatever.

EDIT: Nevermind, Bill helped me find the link below: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=181698 (post #4)

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-07-2006 at 03:46 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: Who had this column?!

Shifty, PickumUp had a column for sale a while back, but not sure if it is they one you are talking about.

Also, what did you do for your fuel "situation" tank, pump, lines? I'm getting ready to tackle that myself. Pictures would be appreciated.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
67chevemall

Mine is a 80 Camaro tilt, I love it.
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That was greaseMonkey. PM him bout it. He is quite, but normally around.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Thanks, Bill!

Hey Rob - re: the fuel situation, I'm going with an 18gal aluminum tank from Mark Fowler, AKA "FuelCellGuy". I'm using his 18gal tank with a Walbro in-tank pump (he also sells the 16gal). The tank is all aluminum, I'm having it coated with Line-X for rigidity's sake and noise dampening. The tank is fully baffled, comes with sending unit, supports internal or external pump. It mounts to the framerails similar to how the ECE tank does from what I gather, comes with the hardware and with all of the stuff (pump/tank/coating/hardware/sending unit) it is costing me at least 10% less than the steel ECE tank with no fuel pump.

Below are some pictures of an example tank that he showed to me - I'll also drop some info on the procedure as he explained it to me - turnaround is less than a month. Figure someone else might find this info useful.

Info from Mark:

I do use the flange mount system (no straps -s) Fuel cell kit to include 18 gallon tank, sending unit, in-tank fuel pump assembly, filler tube and mounting hardware ... The tanks that I build are baffled, they are also welded inside and out with the exception of the "lid" or top plate. I put the tanks together in its entirety and Mig weld it together on the inside, then I'll put the lid on it and Tig it all up. I use .125 wall aluminum. I actually let the tank "pickle" if you will, for a couple of days. By this I mean, after the tank is welded, I let it cool and don't drill any holes in the tank. After two or three days, I will begin to install the components. When I drill the first hole, if the tank has no leaks, I will hear a vacuum release when the hole first penetrates the tank. The air in the tank is super hot when the welding takes place, then as the tank cools, the air inside contracts, therfore creating a vacuum. No vacuum= leak. Good vacuum= no leak.

When I do fuel injection pumps I recommend using an in-tank pump. With the pump in the tank, the pump stays cool and last much longer than one that is mounted on the frame rail. Also, the internal pump is extremely quiet. The tanks include sending unit, filler neck or filler assembly, and mounting hardware. The tanks for fuel injection are ready to go, I install the pump before it leaves the shop. The ECE tank is very nice ... I do recommend welding in a beefy crossmember at the rear of the frame no matter what tank is used. With the standard tank, the rearmost crossmember must be moved anyway. This crossmember could be moved back in all reality, thats is what I did on my truck. I prefer PayPal but will take a money order/cashiers check. Turn-around time is generally three-four weeks.

(You decide) Where, eventually, will your filler be located ... I just need to iron out a location for it. All of the tanks that I have sold have the filler at the rear drivers corner like the attached picture shows. I have plenty to do before I get that far. The fuel pump is a Tanks, Inc. pump assembly. It uses a Walbro pump ... My normal procedure is tank payment in full

The fuel pump assembly has a vent on it already. It aids in filling the tank. The only two location I can put the filler at is the front or rear of the tank. There is a bed crossmember in the center of the tank. That will be the last step I do, so you have some time to think about it.

(Need answers for) A few last questions ... are you running: coil spring suspension, filler tube or bed fill, bumper or roll pan, and steel or wood floor? I am going to send you some pics of the tank I put together (below) so that you can see the amount of baffling and bracing I put into the tank.

The pictures speak for themselves. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about his stuff, so I'm buying with confidence. I'll let you know how it goes...
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 02-07-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Thanks to bill, I found the thread/post where people were discussing columns and found the pictures of what I wanted to do. They're here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=181698

Post #4.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
DTerry
'70 GMC C-25 LWB

Thanks for posting the link shifty.

(D)
350, vortec 305 heads. 10:1 comp, t5 trans. Street terrrorizer.
1988 Monte Carlo (Super Stock ashpalt race car)
My Truck
DTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
greasemonkey

Pm'ed you shifty.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote