The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
CoolRide

Anyone know anything about louvres?

I would like to either have my hood louvred or louvre it myself, but I don't know anything about the process. So I thought I would post the question here for any hints / tips, from somebody that has done/ or had it done.

As always thank you.

CoolRide
CoolRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Anyone know anything about louvres?

you should pm livrat i think he has a louvered hood for sale. not sure which year though.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
cdowns

when i want something louvered i drop it off at the louver guy and pick it up a couple off days later $3 a pop// it requires a special press and dies and the guy doing it better know what he's doing cause there ain't any such thing as a doover one slip and the parts frigged up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
CoolRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
when i want something louvered i drop it off at the louver guy and pick it up a couple off days later $3 a pop// it requires a special press and dies and the guy doing it better know what he's doing cause there ain't any such thing as a doover one slip and the parts frigged up

Thanks. I don't know if anybody in Spokane does this or not. Ill google a searchs for presses and see what I can find, I'm sure there are a few people
round these parts that would pay to gets some louvers done.
Thank you again!

CoolRide
Old 02-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
THATS ABOUT WHAT THEY GO FOR HERE. $3 EACH DOESN'T SOUND LIKE MUCH, BUT MULTIPLY THAT BY 100 OR 150 & IT ADDS UP QUICK. IT'S HARD WORK & WORTH EVERY PENNY. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

There was a gal (engineering student) on the board in the midwest that had a truck with a louvered hood that she could not wait to get rid of. Longhornman knows who she is. Way too old school and busy for my tastes and a pia on this side of the Cascades...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
junkyardjohn

I'VE GOT A LOUVERED HOOD ON MY 69 TOW TRUCK (I'VE GOT A 68 CLIP ON IT). I'VE GOT ABOUT 140 3" LOUVERS ON A 68 HOOD & I LOVE IT. TO ME NOTHING LOOKS BETTER THAN LOUVERS ON A OLD SCHOOL HOT ROD. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 02-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

That's just one of the things that makes this board great. If all our trucks looked alike it would be as boring as one of those "National Registry" Clubs. I respect everyone's opinion and their conviction to stick by it...
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Stllookin,a louvered hood on one of your trucks would SUCK....rain onto the motor an awful lot.
Junkyardjohn,a louvered hood on your wrecker BLOWS....hot air out.Especially helpful while working it at idle.
To louver one of these hoods,the reinforcement struts need to be R&R'd.I`ve seen very few louvered hoods on our trucks.The ones I`ve seen all have the same pattern.I`ve always wondered if someone was selling them.A guy near me has one and his son bought it.I haven`t found out if it was used or who he got it from.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
Livrat
Member #1049

CoolRide They cost between $3 and $4 each here...
I have a louvered hood on my 71 Blazer that I am going to take off.. it has 186 louvers... (@$3 each thats $558)
I like it and they look cool.. but it rains too much here... do not like the idea of it peeing all over my 454...
I was going to hang it on the wall but I would consider selling it or trading it off..
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #11
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
Stllookin,a louvered hood on one of your trucks would SUCK....rain onto the motor an awful lot.
Junkyardjohn,a louvered hood on your wrecker BLOWS....hot air out..
NAW.. THEY DON'T SUCK IN ANY AIR OR RAIN, OR BLOW ANY AIR OUT. (IF THEY DO.. THEY ARE FACING THE WRONG WAY) THEY ARE JUST A PATTERN OF HOLES CUT INTO THE HOOD. ACTUALLY THE ONLY TIME WATER GETS DOWN THE LOUVERS IS WHEN IT IS PARKED OUTSIDE DURING A RAIN. NONE GETS IN WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING. THEY DO PROVIDE AN ESCAPE FOR HOT AIR. AS YOUR COOLANT FAN PULLS IN FRESH AIR THRU YOUR RADIATOR OR AS YOU DRIVE DOWN THE ROAD, THE AIR CAN ESCAPE THRU THE HOOD ONCE IT HAS DONE IT'S JOB OF HELPING TO COOL YOUR MOTOR. JOHN

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 02-14-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 AM   #12
muddpile

I've considered getting my hood done, as I've always kind of liked the cheese grater look. Lots of cowls out there, but not many louvers. My only concern is when my truck sits outside in a rain.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #13
CoolRide

Thanks all for the info! I am going for a somewhat ol skool look what with the skulls, and one off coffin mirrors etc, (new pics soon). I'm not too concerned about about the rain, as its just a toy and lives in a carport. I have drivin a few old trucks w/o any hood to show of my engine purdys and never had a prob. If I could buy a hood that was done that would be cool cause I don't know of anybody around here doing this. Thanks again.

CR
Old 02-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Just keedin`bout all that.But,Stlookin is in Washington on the rainy side,so when it sits parked...So does Livrat.
I have a deal worked out for a`67 louvered hood for when I build my`67 GMC street rod.Because they`re cool.And,it`ll be garage kept and driven on (hopefully) sunny days.
Louvers are especially functional for wreckers,ambulances,and other vehicles that sit and idle alot.Ever see cops sitting at a radar trap with the hood popped?The guy that I know that has a`69-up style louvered hood is the same guy I`m doing a deal with for a wrecker.It won`t be cheap,but I`d like to try to get the hood for the wrecker.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote