The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Robznob11

axle drilling

has any one redrilled there axles with a diffrent bolt pattern mine are 6 lug and i would like to make them 5 on 4 3/4 . be nice if i had a spare set to do but i don't know anybody with any.
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Woody

Re: axle drilling

My 69 has had the rear axles and frt hubs redrilled to 5 on 5" from it's orginal 6 lug. It was this way when I bought it back in 1984. I thas never given me any problems, however, when I need to replace the rear Drums I don't know what i'll do. I guess I will redrill a new set of drums or swap 71/72 axles into the rear and use 71/72 drums. On the front I plan to install disks (already 5 on 5") so that should be easy.

I didn't have them done so I can't give you a lot of advice on how to do it. I can tell you that the orginal 6 lug studs were cut off flush with the outside of the axle face plate and new holes drilled where they were needed.

I would research finding some frt hubs off a car for the front. probably cheaper than redrilling them. Then see if there is some rear axles with the 5 on 4 3/4" that would work in your rear end. This will be the hard part. Then if that doesn't work out look at someone redrilling the axles and drums. Although, you may be able to find the drums you need without having to redrill them.

Hope this helps,
Woody
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote