The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Sandblaster!!

I heard about an abrasive wheel from Lowes called the "Sandblaster", so I picked one up yesterday. I got it home and discovered it needs the "system" to mount to my 5/8 shank drive 4 1/2 angle grinder ( Milwaukee) . So lacking the " system" to adapt with I ground off the protusion on the grinder side of the wheel that is intended to quick mount to the adapter and used a round file to open up the bor thru to .875 for my grinders flat washer flange and mounted like a conventional grinding disc. Works great!!!!
Removes paint kinda like a 60 grit disc but faster and no metal removal!!!!! Kinda spendy but it claims no load up and appears to have long life. I read of people doing a whole car with one.
Try one!!!!!!!!!!!!
wolfthing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Re: Sandblaster!!

Send us pics of your results.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfthing2000
I heard about an abrasive wheel from Lowes called the "Sandblaster", so I picked one up yesterday. I got it home and discovered it needs the "system" to mount to my 5/8 shank drive 4 1/2 angle grinder ( Milwaukee) . So lacking the " system" to adapt with I ground off the protusion on the grinder side of the wheel that is intended to quick mount to the adapter and used a round file to open up the bor thru to .875 for my grinders flat washer flange and mounted like a conventional grinding disc. Works great!!!!
Removes paint kinda like a 60 grit disc but faster and no metal removal!!!!! Kinda spendy but it claims no load up and appears to have long life. I read of people doing a whole car with one.
Try one!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sort of dealing with this too right now. I have a Makita angle grinder. All the "neat" attachments now are 5/8"-11. My arbor is 5/8" but a different pitch. I'm just about ready to buy a new grinder. But if I buy a new grinder are they going to once again switch how they attach stuff?

It sounds like your problem with your Milwaukee is the opposite of mine.

Surely somebody on this forum must have dealt with this.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

I did deal with it. Read closely. I modified it to look like a straight hole grind wheel and used the standard shank on my grinder.
When I pulled it off the rack it said for 5/8 shank grinders. It was in the fine print and a warning sticker inside the box that called for the "system".
Like I say, about 5 minutes later it looked like something I could use and it uses my standard stuff,
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #5
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

Tried it out for real last night. Stripped off most all of the outside skin of a door in about a half hour. I could never do that with Jasco! Still need to use something for the dtailed spots though, but for large area and gettin her done, I reccomend one.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
MDC

Can you post a pic of what you are using?
www.xpressboats.com

Nothing says 'poor craftmanship' like wrinkles in your duct tape
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

If someone can give me a simple instruction on how to post pics, I will gladly take some pictures, I know how to get them into the computer off the floppy and insert into mail, but it stops there.............
Old 02-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Luvlegs

I'll try - the easiest thing for me it to open the pic on my computer (mine opens in microsoft Photo Editor) - then check it's properties (at top, click on file, then properties - it will tell you the size) If it's over 100, it won't work - If it is, click on Image at top and then select resize - keep reducing the first size on the display until it is like 1.90. Then save the pic somewhere easy for you to get back to. Go to the Go Advanced tab on the thread page where you want to put the pic. Do your typing and then go down lower on the page to the "Manage Attachments" - click on it - when it opens, select the first "Browse" tab - now go find your attachment - once you've clicked on it, then hit the upload button. If it goes, you'll see the attachement listed there. If not, you'll see a notice at the top saying it exceeded 100. If so, go back and resize again. This works for me and I'm not an expert. Good Luck!

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!

Last edited by Luvlegs; 02-15-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #9
Frizzle Fry

If you have XP, go here and install the image resizer. Then you can just right-click any pic to resize or rotate without opening the file.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
wolfthing2000
Account Suspended

I will try it !