The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
jprovence

Question EFI to Carb, then supercharge?

I am comming into a little bit of money and have been looking at getting more power out of my truck, 88 suburban. I know its a suburban and this is the truck forum, but this forum has alot more people and the motor is the same motor that came in 87 trucks. So I though I would post my questions here in hopes of getting good questions answered.

I have been looking at different ways to get more power out of my truck. Head and cam combos, crate motors, and forced induction. I am going to convert my truck to carburetion. There is no way to get lots of power out of TBI. I have done lots of research on sites like Thirggen.ord who has an extensive and livly forum on TBI, but still nobody seems to put down any real good numbers. Aftermarker EFI system are real expensive, the good ones anyway (Accel DFI, etc) I am not worried about emissions. My wifes car is clean enough for the both of us. So it seems like carb is the way to get for cost effective horsepower.

Now I will run a regulator with all the EFI pump.
http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product..._p.phtml?pk=63

I just put in a brand new Carter OEM fuel pump in the burban. I am hoping the pump will push enough volume to feed roughly 400-450hp. I want all the power idle-5500 right where the truck needs it. I am hoping with a good rebuild and forged pistons, vortec heads, wieand 144 series supercharger, holley 700cfm carb, a mild cam perhaps that I will be at my goal of having lots of low end torque. The burb only weighs 4800lbs, this could be a good lightnig killer and nobody would expect it. Plus I could still tow something if I wanted to. And have good drivablity on 93. Am I missing anything? Do I need to get and older style fuel tank for a carb suburban and get a mechanical fuel pump? would that be better or will the regulator work? And help would be really great. Thanks
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote