The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK

He's gonna get a Chevy!

Alright, I have dropped the superficial vanity of owning a BMW and am now going to my country roots, or at least I wish my roots were country.

Pending the sale of my car, I am looking towards buying a mid 70's - early 90's truck. I just do not know where to truly begin. So here I go a thunderin with questions:

btw, I did plenty of searches on the board, but have yet to find answers to my questions.

1. Best yrs. for a chevy truck? Short box / long box? ( I prefer short box)
2. Best type of 350 engine? 2 bolt or 4 bolt main?
3. Reliability of 2 bolt or 4 bolt engines?
4. Best trannies?
5. Best places online to purchase engine/tranny rebuild parts?
6. Best places online to buy body parts? (I am already checking out the local wrecking yards!)
7. Best oils to use for engine, tranny, diffy?
8. Chevy truck chapters/groups in AZ?
9. Best tires to use? (mainly city driving, but do go up to the mountains and drive on unpaved roads.)
10. Carb, TBI, or FI? I am learning towards Carb!
11. If i buy a S-10, difficulty of swapping in a v8 engine/tranny/diffy?!

I am buying a chevy truck damn it, and that's that, so all help and advice much appreciated!

Last edited by READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK; 02-23-2006 at 04:17 PM.
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: He's gonna get a Chevy!

Look around here to start:

http://www.73-87.com/7387info/7387info.htm

1. Best yrs. for a chevy truck? Short box / long box? ( I prefer short box)

Well, this is a forum for 73-87 full size trucks, so I am gonna say one of those. Choose the box length based on what you plan to do with it. SWB is usually more expensive. LWB holds more and has a better ride. Earlier models are harder to find, but are less likely to give you emissions testing problems. They are also more prone to rusting.

2. Best type of 350 engine? 2 bolt or 4 bolt main?

It doesn't realy matter unless you are building a very hi performance engine. USed 2 bolts are cheaper. Many chevy crate motors come with a 4 bolt anyway.

3. Reliability of 2 bolt or 4 bolt engines?

See above.

4. Best trannies?

TH350-strong, cheap, no OD (my rebuild was $315 with a converter)
700R4-not as strong, more expensive, better gas mileage due to OD
TH400-strongest, a little more expensive than TH350, uses more horsepower

5. Best places online to purchase engine/tranny rebuild parts?

I don't know, but it is hard to beat a new 350 from Summit for $1359.

6. Best places online to buy body parts? (I am already checking out the local wrecking yards!)

Don't know

7. Best oils to use for engine, tranny, diffy?

You might as well ask what beer, hamburger, etc. is best. Ask ten people, get 10 different answers.

8. Chevy truck chapters/groups in AZ?

No idea.

9. Best tires to use? (mainly city driving, but do go up to the mountains and drive on unpaved roads.) Depends on what type of truck. 2WD or 4WD? Stock, lifted, or lowered?

10. Carb, TBI, or FI? I am learning towards Carb!

Only the '87-91 came with fuel injection, and '87 was the only year you could get a 1/2 ton pickup with it. You could always upgrade an older one.

11. If i buy a S-10, difficulty of swapping in a v8 engine/tranny/diffy?!

My friend who has one as his daily driver says it is pretty easy. There are lots of kits available. See # 4 regarding transmissions. The rear end in an s10 is a 10 bolt already, like what Cutlass/Monte Carlo used. It will probably be fine unless you run a LOT of horsepower.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 02-23-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK

Thank you Slonaker!

So LWB's have a better ride, damn, and here I thought that SWB's would have a better/smoother ride. No matter, I believe a truck should have a bit of a "rough" ride anyways.

I mainly want a stock truck, 2wd or 4wd, with maybe a tweak here or there on the suspension, but really nothing else. Just a chev w/ a solid engine, solid tranny, and an overall solid ride!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

A longer wheelbase, if everything else is the same, will give a smoother ride.

The folks on this site have a lot to offer. Find a truck, post some questions, and try to help out when you can.

Slonaker
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK

Will do!

Old 02-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
bluex

Ya my truck rode much smoother when it was a LWB. It rides rougher than my lowered mustang now. It does have the heavy half susp though, so that is probably most of it.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
SSC's76
No No

My 86 LWB ride like a Caddy compared the to the 76 SWB even though all the suspension component are brand new on the 76 and the 86 are factory.

As far as engines, Slonaker summed that up nicely.

I'd rather have a standard transmission but thats just me.

A good fuel injection system is always better then a carb for a daily driver but a carb will out perform any FI system.

For the tires any will do fine on dirt, my old BFG 60's did better on more difficult surfaces (ice) then my Goodyear AT's.

New body peices are better then old body peices and cost less in the long run.

I like full synthetic oils for lubrication, Either AMSOIL or Mobil 1 are the better more common oils.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
C&C Chevy

To me, an 87 1/2 ton with a TBI 350 and a 700R4 is the ultimate!

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Chevy
To me, an 87 1/2 ton with a TBI 350 and a 700R4 is the ultimate!

For a daily driver, you're probably right, as long as you plan to keep the drivetrain stock.

Slonaker
Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 AM   #10
Eyegore
What Hump?

Welcome fellow Zonie. Where in Az are you located? There are tons of these years everywhere. I have an 86 shortbed, my oldest has a 78 camper special longbed, my youngest has an 80 a swb but he just changed it from a lowered truck to one with a 3" bodylift and a suspension lift and is now running 36" tires on 20" rims, looks pretty awesome.
Now for your search, check the local truck trader and craigslist I'm sure you'll find something, also let me know what area your in and I'll keep my eyes open for whatever.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #11
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK

Hey Eyegore! I live in Scottsdale. I have been following the local truck trader and craigslist on sales of trucks, but none have caught my interest / price range just yet, but like you said, there are Chevy trucks a-plenty and I'm sure one will pop up with my name on it.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC's76
I like full synthetic oils for lubrication, Either AMSOIL or Mobil 1 are the better more common oils.

Be careful with Amsoil, some of there engine oils are for racing only and dont meet SFI specs. That will easily void a warrenty if you use them in a new car or a new GM crate motor....

I ran Mobil 1 in my S10 since it had around 10k on it. I'm using Royal Purple in the mustang b/c the p/o did. I'm not real fond of switching brands.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I say go for what talks to you, i waited for about 3-4 years before having the money and truck availability sync up. i've only had it for 4 days now, and i thought my obsession would ease once i got it, but no, it's gotten worse (or better). One thing i can say is, definitely get what you want. i was going to buy an 85 shortbed that had a 91 front end on it, bucket seats, and lowered suspension, all of which i didn't want, but the price was right. 2 weeks later, i find my truck for about 400 dollars more. i avoided buyer's remorse by waiting. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cbgstyle/album?.dir=50e6
harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I spent over a year looking before I found a truck I liked for the right price. Of course, with what I know now, I would have done it differently...

Slonaker
Old 02-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
I spent over a year looking before I found a truck I liked for the right price. Of course, with what I know now, I would have done it differently...

Slonaker
What would you do differently?
Old 02-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #16
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Something to think about: AZ has a LOT of REALLY nice whether. Think about a Blazer. 1st Generation (67-72) look the best to me, and have the full removeable top. After '75, only the rear half comes off. 4wd would be really nice when you get off-road up in the mountains.

Something to think about if you get all the way back to a 1st gen is that the '71 was the first model with front disc brakes, they'll stop you much more quickly.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
68Stepbed

On the response to oil, some stuff I swear by is Justice Bros. Oil Treatment aka J-B Brand. The place I buy mine from also swears by it. You can't buy it from a chain store (Advace, Auto Zone, O'reilly's, etc. etc.) only from independant dealers or small shops. It's an additive, not a replacement. You add to your existingamount of oil. This stuff bonds and conditions the metal.

Just my .02. Good luck on your search.

I just purchased an 86 swb check it out here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=190603

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system

Last edited by 68Stepbed; 02-28-2006 at 07:44 PM.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #18
READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback, keep it comin!

Another question to add to the mix......If I wanted to clear any doubts that I may have about rust, the best way would be to do a frame-off restoration?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #19
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan
What would you do differently?
I paid a premium price ($3500) for a very clean silverado. I wanted one that I could begin driving daily right away. I wanted one that was relatively unmolested, meaning that it was still stock.

What I have realized since then is that, due to its age, everything is worn out on the truck. The truck has been broken down all the time, and I am replacing everything anyway. I might as well have bought one that was rough, but rust free. They are easy to come by here in South Texas. That would have left me a lot more money to replace all the stuff that I have replaced anyway.

I stripped the old 305 down to a shortblock and put new cam, lifters, pushods, fuel pump, water pump and all the little stuff in it. I just finished replacing it with a crate engine.

I have done a complete rebuild of the front end. I have had the transmission out once for a seal job, then again for a rebuild last year. I have nearly completely rebuilt the A/C system. I have new springs for the rear to install, and a new grill. I have recovered the seat.

The rear end leaks now, and it needs a new carb. It needs carpet. It needs all new rubber in the cab. It needs new exhaust. The paint does not shine any more (it was bad when I got it, and it didn't get any better). It just goes on and on...

Slonaker
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #20
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by READYFORTHEGRIDLOCK
Thanks again to everyone for the feedback, keep it comin!

Another question to add to the mix......If I wanted to clear any doubts that I may have about rust, the best way would be to do a frame-off restoration?
Don't pull it apart right away. Drive the hell out of it and make sure you like it enough to spend a lot of money on it. Frame up stuff takes years, and it is easy to run out of money, time, patience, or interest.

Slonaker
Old 03-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #21
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

Quote:
I paid a premium price ($3500) for a very clean silverado. I wanted one that I could begin driving daily right away. I wanted one that was relatively unmolested, meaning that it was still stock.

What I have realized since then is that, due to its age, everything is worn out on the truck. The truck has been broken down all the time, and I am replacing everything anyway. I might as well have bought one that was rough, but rust free. They are easy to come by here in South Texas. That would have left me a lot more money to replace all the stuff that I have replaced anyway.

I stripped the old 305 down to a shortblock and put new cam, lifters, pushods, fuel pump, water pump and all the little stuff in it. I just finished replacing it with a crate engine.

I have done a complete rebuild of the front end. I have had the transmission out once for a seal job, then again for a rebuild last year. I have nearly completely rebuilt the A/C system. I have new springs for the rear to install, and a new grill. I have recovered the seat.

The rear end leaks now, and it needs a new carb. It needs carpet. It needs all new rubber in the cab. It needs new exhaust. The paint does not shine any more (it was bad when I got it, and it didn't get any better). It just goes on and on...

Slonaker
Your post should be required reading for everyone thinking about getting into this hobby. What you have learned takes some a lifetime. Some never learn.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Talking Re: He's gonna get a Chevy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron 586
Your post should be required reading for everyone thinking about getting into this hobby. What you have learned takes some a lifetime. Some never learn.
Like most folks, I tend to learn things the hard way. I like to think that, by being an example of what NOT to do, I am providing a valuable resource to my fellow truck owners.

Slonaker
Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
68Stepbed

Quote:
Like most folks, I tend to learn things the hard way. I like to think that, by being an example of what NOT to do, I am providing a valuable resource to my fellow truck owners.

Slonaker

Good point.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #24
Eyegore
What Hump?

Hey reradyforthegridlock, check Mondays craigslist for phoenix, appears to be a nice 81 lowered in there - not mine.

P.S. to Mods I hope I did not break the rules, this is not my truck just noticed one for sale locally to help another board memeber.

Tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #25
84 400
Sb 400 club

yeah lwb are heaper to and more common. best is AZ truck if u can find it cause it will have little rust. Also i would go 4x4 that is if you want to take it out and have some fun but i own two 2wd and love them just the same.

go standered tranny if you can at least that is the only big change i want to make in mine. nothing like banging your own gears!!!!
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote