The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
turbojunker

Patch panel recommendation

When I bought this truck, the driver's door was held on by house hinges on the outside. I finally got the door open and I found out why. It fell off in my hand. The upper is no big deal, it ripped out of the door. The problem I have is with the bottom. The hinge has totally ripped out of the pillar.

Is there a patch panel for this, and if so, what is it called and where can I get it? Welding it in isn't a problem, I just can't tell from the pictures I've seen if the piece I need to replace is in the patch panels or not. I'd hate to order one and it not be what I need.

There are plenty of old trucks laying around out this way that I could cut up, I suppose. If I have to do that, is the kick panel a seperate piece or is it made to the pillar?
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: Patch panel recommendation

You probaly can find the different patch panels but I think you would be better off finding a donor cab post. Once it is that rusted out the inside of the pillar is worse then you can see. I have that pillar in a donor cab in my shop bit it would be just a bit out of your way!

Kevin

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-26-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
4x4Poet

The kick panel is spot welded to the floor and the cab door post. I've never seen a patch panel offered for the hinge mount. Probably because the inside of the door post has the cost prohibitive spotwelded "cages" that hold the thick, captive nut plates the hinge bolts thread through. All the patch panels I can think of are simple stamped steel pieces. All welding avoided by the patch panel makers. Maybe a vendor can correct me, if need be.

So, in a round-a-bout way to saying, I agree with Rokcrln.

Edit: EBFabman's 67-72 videos show him replacing a cab door post. IIRC, he replaced the post from the roof down.

Last edited by 4x4Poet; 02-27-2006 at 04:41 AM.
4x4Poet is offline   Reply With Quote