The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
SanitysBane

HyrdoBost How too

Hey some of y'all asked me about this a while back, and I am sorry for not getting back sooner. My life has been crazy and this is the first time I have had some free time. Lets get started, first off when I did this I bought core's for the Master clyinder, and hyrdounit and all the hoses, if I was going to do this all over again, I would get a brand new hyrdo unit from a GM dealer(cost around $150, I think) that is about the only change.
You are going to need your basic hand tools, plus a tubing bender.
First remove all that old vacum booster parts, you won't need any of it at all, now you need to plug the vacum line on the back of the carb, do this while its still on your mind. Once you have the master cylinder out by way of the 2 nuts, and have the brake lines off, you can then pull off the vacum booster, there are 6 15MM nuts, 3 on each side. Its a royal pain in the butt to get thoes off, but you gotta do it. Move to the inside, on the brakepedel lever you must remove the brakelight switch, and then you can see the nut that goes threw the booster pushrod and the brake pedel, take all that loose. Now once you get all of that off you have 1 of 2 options, option 1)hammer the studs out of the firewall, or 2)hammer the studs out of the hyrdo-boost mounting bracket. I would probally choose to knock the studs out of the hydro-boost mounting bracket instead of having to put the nuts on the studs that are on the inside of the dash. Once you have that done, bench bleed your master clyinder by following the directions that come with it and then install the master cylinder to the hyrdo-boost and then attach the brakelines.
Next is the fun parts...running the hyrdo lines. The lines run as follows; pump pressure lines runs to the hydro-boost, then a return line goes back to the pump with a presure line coming off the hydro-boost and going to the power steering pump with another return line going to the pump. What I did was re-use the stock pump, with a rebent main pressure line to the hyrdo-unit, and then use a T-junction block, with some rubber hose and special bent lines. Top off the power steering pump, bleed the brakes and you should be good to go. All in all its not to hard of a project, but time consuming.
If you have any questions, post below, sorry for the lack of pictures, and sorta fuzzy information.
Good luck, and welcome to the hydro-boost club!
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote