The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Army_Dude

350 swap (questions)

As some of you know, I recently picked up a 48 Ford Pickup with a new (less than 400 miles) Goodwrench crate motor. The truck is going to need some work and I've decided to do it right and not rush through it just to get it on the road.

I am SERIOUSLY considering swapping the motor into my 85 Silverado. But before I turn one wrench, I want to know just whay all this is going to take. I've heard some talk about the swaps but never paid it much attention. SO... any help from you guys who have done this is greatly appreciated. Any things I'll need to pick up or change out . like they say experience is the best teacher. I want to learn from your experiences. Thanks in advance. Oh BTW, current motor is the stock 305. Tranny is TH350.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
evan

Re: 350 swap (questions)

I didn't run into any major issues. My suggestion is that you take lots of pictures before you start taking things apart. It is handy to have them as a reference when you are putting things back together. The hardest part was probably accessing the 6 tranny bolts. Oh, and if you aren't taking your front clip off, make sure you don't use too much chain with the picker, or else you won't be able to clear the front end.

Here are some pics from my swap: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=182674
Old 03-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
hotrodhomi

I had to get new exhaust when I did the 305 to 350 swap on my '80 swb. I added headers so that was an easy fix. I always find it easier to remove and install the tranny and engine as one.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I just finished the same swap about 2 weeks ago. There were not any real problems. The crate motor, if it really is a new crate motor (if the seller was honest), should have a an extra set of bolt holes for the 305 exhaust manifolds, so you should be able to run them without any of the problems hotrodhomi had. Mine bolted right up with no problem.

Make sure you use the temp sending unit that is in your truck now. Use an adapter if it does not fit the hole. My crate engine had a larger hole for the sender, like earlier pickups had, and I found out the hard way that they aren't interchangeable.

There are 2 options for flexplates with different numbers of teeth. The starter has to be matched to the flexplate. If you use whatever the older truck has, of course, everything should be okay.

I can't think of anything else. I'm happy to answer anyquestions you have, though.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 03-08-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
Army_Dude

OK keep talking guys. Keep telling me how easy it's gonna be. You've almost got me talked into it (or should I say I almost have myself talked into it?).

Anyway, I've heard alot of people say that it's easier to pull the tranny with the motor. My question is why/how? I'll be using the same tranny. It just seems to me it would make the process more difficult, if nothing else because you would add to the size of what you are now pulling from the same size hole. Does that make sense? Hope y'all know what I'm getting at.

And the motor is now installed and running in the Ford, so couldn't I just use the manifolds that are on it now? I'm thinking about getting headers before I do it. That and I have a nice Weiand intake I'll probably put on it before I put it in. Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

As long as the exhaust manifolds that are on it clear the frame, motor mounts, and everything else, you should be able to use them. I have been told that rams horn style hit the driver's side motor mount sometimes, but N2TRUX did not have that problem.

If the manifolds are different from what you have now, you will need new pipes to tie them into your current exhaust system unless you plan to replace everything. That could increase the cost.

Slonaker
Old 03-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

It is easier to install the motor and tranny as one piece for a number reasons.
You can install the torque converter easier when the tranny and engine can both be moved to allow for proper alignment. Put the converter in the tranny and make sure you get it right before you bolt up the motor, then bolt the converter to the flexplate. …Its easier to remove the trannly lines and cross member bolts than the tranny to engine bolts ( the top ones are sometimes a real pain when in the truck). This method is definitely the best way if you are doing all of the wok by yourself. Another person can make installing the motor and tranny as separate pieces easier. This will help if you don’t listen to us and leave the tranny in there.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
Army_Dude

Ok that makes a little more sense. Not saying I won't listen to reason. I was just wondering why, now I know...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

This is a simple thing but has bit more people than anything I know of. When you take the transmission off the engine you're pulling and put it on the one you're installing make sure that you don't let the converter slip out on you. When you mate them up you should have about 1/4 inch clearance between the flex plate and converter. When it comes to engine swaps that is a real trouble maker if you are not watching for it. Good luck.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote