The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Hwy2Hll

upper A-Arm stud issues

I'mn currently in the process of putting tube A-arms on my '67 C-10. I have replacement studs which attach the upper A-arm to the frame mount. The original studs are slightly smaller in diameter than the replacements. The original arms had a fair amount of clearance and the new arms have even more play on the old but fit pretty well on the new set. If I drive out the old studs it looks like I will need to drill the holes out to fit the new bolts.

Can I leave the old studs in place or will the excessive clearance cause problems even after everything is snugged up?
67 Stepside 468 BBC Built by me @ Texas Engine Machine in Llano, TX. Modified 700R4, 12-bolt 3:73 ..Exactly when did I decide that I could spend more than I make? "The more I think about it, old Billy was right..."
Hwy2Hll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
low4life1

Re: upper A-Arm stud issues

I'm pretty sure those studs press into the xmember so they might seem a little bigger than the olds ones. and I also think there is supposed to me some play between the studs and the a-arm cross brace thing to allow it to pivot for alignments, so you could probably use your factory studs if they arent too bad lookin
low4life1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Hwy2Hll

Re: upper A-Arm stud issues

Thats what we ended up doing. Went to Hardware store and picked up some delrin or nylon bushings that took up most of the play. I'm pretty sure that once the alignment has been done and the nuts are torqued that this oughta work.
67 Stepside 468 BBC Built by me @ Texas Engine Machine in Llano, TX. Modified 700R4, 12-bolt 3:73 ..Exactly when did I decide that I could spend more than I make? "The more I think about it, old Billy was right..."
Hwy2Hll is offline   Reply With Quote