The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
SkyBlue72'

flip kit question?

I'm thinking of either purchasing a flip kit or just buying the stock axle brackets and transfering them to the other side of the axle and welding them on permanently.
My question is, which one is better to do, and why do the flip kit brackets have the pin hole at a different location than the stock axle brackets where it's in the center?
If there's no problem in using stock brackets at all, I'll go that route since its alittle cheaper. But please give me some advice.
SkyBlue72' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

Re: flip kit question?

which ever you prefer would work, the only disadvantage to a weld on perch is that its not quite as easy to change back if you ever change your mind. the reason the hole is offset on the bolt on kits is to set your axle back a little further since it is now closer to the tailshaft of your trans. it keeps you from mashing your driveshaft into the rear of your trans. hope this helps.
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:10 AM   #3
SkyBlue72'

That's what I thought. So I'm thinking of drilling some holes out to set the axle back about 3/4" to make sure anything terrible like that will happen.
Another question, When I put the brackets on, is it alright if I weld them right on the opposite side of the axle or do I have to use an angle finder.
Because right now I'm working on the suspension right now and I don't have a motor an tranny right now to find the correct angle of the driveline.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
424shee

I just finished doing that same thing and tried doing some research with no luck.so I talked to a guy that does alot of this type of work and he said to weld them in the exact opposite position as the stock ones.then use shims if you need them.I don't know if he was right but that's what I did and then found out about the offset holes so it looks like I welded one on the wrong way.so I plan on pulling it off,turning it around and rewelding it.other than that everything went well.good luck.
424shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
72MARIO

I would just clean the old ones off then set the axel in place them install your u bolts tighten them snug. Once the truck is done and complete you can set your angle and weld them in place.

A 73 up flip kit can be made to work on a 67-72 with a 1/8 triming to each side of the flip brackets.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD

Last edited by 72MARIO; 03-24-2006 at 06:37 PM.
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 AM   #6
SkyBlue72'

what the hell, I'll just make some offset holes on the brackets and weld them right on the opposite side. theres always shims, no biggie. Cause I need to paint the axle by the end of this weekend. And while I'm at it, I'll fab up or mod up some drop shackles.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
424shee

when I lowered mine I did the flip kit (stock mounts) I took out 1 leaf and it's about an inch or mabey 1 1/2 away from hitting the frame.I had some lowered shakles but the frame just laid on the it rearend.I've only driven it about 3 miles and it does'nt seem like I need shims so far.
424shee is offline   Reply With Quote