The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
Ozark Tim

Bought a 72 Custom Camper yesterday. Question.

I bought a nice 72 Custom Camper/20 truck yesterday. It is still the original Med. Bronze paint with white top. The 350 was replaced with a Goodwrench a few years ago and whoever did it did me the favor of transferring all the original engine brackets etc. from the original motor. Thank goodness!
This truck really needs a good cleaning up more than anything, but it will need the rockers replaces and the rear bab supports are starting to go away. Beyond that it was a real find.
Does anyone know how the Dana axle's are geared in these trucks? I am sure they are at least 4:11 or deeper.
What did this Custom Camper option actually include? If anyone has any info on these it would be greatly appreciated as it is the first one I have had other that a slew of 10 series trucks.
Thanks, OT
Ozark Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
71SWBChevy
Post Whore

Re: Bought a 72 Custom Camper yesterday. Question.

i can't answer your questions but got any pics???

'71 Chevy 350/TH350 Hugger Orange
Currently just a rolling frame, body work soon to follow!!!
Check out my Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212927

Daily Driver: 1997 Chevrolet S-10 with more gears than pistons
71SWBChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

A stock 350 truck with an automatic will have a 4.10 gear onless otherwise optioned.
Interesting that you have a dana, most ended up with the eaton.
Is this a chevy or a GMC?
The custom camper option is nothing more than a front sway bar, HD shocks, HD tires, and HD front springs with either overloads in back or HD springs.

If it is a GMC, then it could be the option package described above, or it could actually be a GMC version of the Longhorn.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Bill72BB
Thats the Hillbilly way

If you have Leaf springs in came with a Dana , 4:10 , Need to see a pic if it's Copper Poly it's the same as BB except for the 350 .
Member Old Farts Club
72 3/4ton Custom Camper BB402/400 trans Dynomax Cerama-coat headers , Hei distributor ,Edelbrock 1411 air,ps,pb,leafsprings ,98 chevy 60/40 seat,S10 shoulder belts
tilt,3.54 Dana 60 rear. 16" Eagle wheels with LT265/75 16 tires,Gaylord Lid,H4 headlights with 100W relay conversion.

" If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself "
Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative. A GUY'S PRAYER....

Lord, I pray for a nympho with huge boobs who owns a liquor store and likes to fish and hunt and has a Harley .Amen ,
Bill72BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

My CustomCamper/20(Chevy)had leafs w/Dana and 4.11s.I believe you got the big radiator,also.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Ozark Tim

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I havent taken any pictures yet, but I will.
Yes it has the F59 stabilizer bar option, the H.D. front springs, shocks, the camper wiring option, the big stainless swing out camper mirror's, and I am sure that it is a Dana axle as I can see the fill bolt in the differential cap, and there is a 60 cast in the diff housing. Dana 60? I would say it feel's like 4:11's and I will try to find the production #'s on the axle tube to see just what.
The paint is still mostly original other that a few spots like where someone painted over the name of the original owner which was on the bed side below the belt molding. It is White/Med. Bronze on the option list. The truck was built in Janesville in 12/71 and yes it is a 350V8. Handles like a sports car around corners compared to my 1/2 ton trucks. I cant wait to get started slicking it up. I will take some digital pic's for you guys so you can see it in its present state and then after i finish it. I am an original freak so it will be mostly original, except i cant part with the 16.5 Western turbine wheels on it. They are so 70's looking that I am going to clean them up and keep em.
Later, OT
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

radiator was not part of the camper package.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
72armyswbtruck

awaiting pics
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Ozark Tim

No chance for pictures yet. Sorry guys. I will take some soon. In the mean time how about a picture of my 72 Sierra, and my 72 Custom Deluxe?
Sorry guys. Both of these are just over 100kb so to big a file for attachments. I have to figure out how to reduce the size of the attachments so that they will work. I have to think about it and I will remember, amd then get you some pictures. Hang in there.
OT
Old 03-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Ozark Tim

Hey how about a temporary picture until I can get the pics of the Custom Camper? Here is my Custom Deluxe/10 I put together in 04. I think I made the attachment work??????
OT
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Ozark Tim

O.K. I have them downloaded. Here is the Custom Camper in all its glory. I took these when I went to pick it up. It was filthy and already looks quite a bit better with a scrubbing. I will be in the process of doing some minor dismantling before it goes to my bud at the body shop for a re do in the original colors etc.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #12
Ozark Tim

I forgot that I said I would attach a picture of my 72 Sierra also. Here she is. This is the only never been rusted truck I have ever known being from Missouri. This one spent most of its life in South Dakota.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
8bolt

Nice trucks O.T.
8bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
Ozark Tim

Thanks! It took me a long time and 31 other trucks to get to these. I have 2 others, but no pics of them.
OT
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I`ll take the GMC,thanks!That`s a fine CustomCamper,Tim.You don`t see many trucks with top moulding only.It seems,from my experience,that a CustomCamper is about equal to a CustomDeluxe on trim.Can you get us a picture of the VIN-spec sheet on the glovebox door?My`71 had the custom sport truck equipt,so it was a Cheyenne without the badging.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #16
Ozark Tim

Sure. The picture that is! The GMC is something I would never part with. Even all the original a/c equipment works perfect on it and I have never even had to charge it in the 8 years I have owned it.
The Custom Camper does have some things like the full foam seat option that you would normally see on trim levels above the Custom. It is a Custom 20 which is the lowest series, but of course it has some nice options. I wonder if the Custom Camper bought you things other than the sway bar, HD springs and shocks, camper mirrors etc.? One of the things that surprised me is that it is a TH350 transmission. I would have guessed that as part of the Camper equipment it would have been a TH400, but it is the original and never been out.
I will take a picture of the option tag tonight. I can tell you without looking that it was built at Janesville in 12/71.
Also After hours of looking really hard from different angles I can see where the original owners name shows through where it was painted over on the bed sides just behind the cab as it was required in those days. It says " Hartley" in big styled letters, and then below the name it says " El Rancho Estades ". Anyone one ever heard of a place with that name? There is no state initials.
OT
Old 03-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Ozark Tim

K,
Here is the picture of the option tag off the Custom Camer you ask to see. I also took one of my little 71 Custom/10 that I just sold to one of my friends. It is all original minus a few spots and has 92k miles on it with 350, ps, auto, sway bar & overloads. I bought it from the niece of the original owner who had passed away and it even has the original window sticker with the price etc. in the glove box. If you want me to post a picture of it I will, because it is the only REAL one I ever saw. Anyway my friend wanted one like he had when we were teens so instead of doing a resto on this one I opted to let him have it and do the Custom Camper. This little yellow truck is one of the nicest driving trucks I owned, and like my 72 Sierra you can close the doors with a gentle push of one finger. Oh well, he will give it a good home, and if he sells it we have already agreed who it goes back to.
I hope I am not hung in effigy for having the old 72 Ford in the picture. I bought it so cheap and even the a/c works, so I use it around the house and at the farm to keep my treasured chevy's out of harms way.
OT
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

your full foam seat was standard in 71, not in an option package.
This is right out of the GM papers...the restoration package which has photocopys of the books the dealers had with all the options and packages.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:09 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Shoot,I can`t read that,but thanks.Aren`t the camper mirrors listed as seperate options?I`ve had trucks with full foam seat listed as an option on base and mid-level trucks.Is yours?My CustomCamper/20 was ochre/white.That one there reminds me of my first truck like this.A solid ochre`72 CustomDeluxe/10 Highlander bought from the OK Used Car lot in`73.You Missouri guys have some nice originals out there.I went cross-country in`76 and really got going on the truck thing from all the different regions.I liked that owner ID and GVW thing on the lower front of the bed.I did it on my first 4wd.Everyone around here wondered about it.It`s a western thing,I`d tell them.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 03-23-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
Ozark Tim

Yes the mirrors and the full foam seat are shown as an option.
The options shown are as follows. B85, F52, F60, G70, LS9, N40, UY1, Z52,
Z81, 626
A11, DF2, F59, G50, K79, M49, T60, U63, Z53, 551
Hey thanks for the copy of the line items on the Custom Camper options out there.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the truck.
OT