The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Canadian shipping????

HELP! I found a transmission in canada but have never had to ship any thing this big. Has anyone else shipped over the boarder? I don't want to hassle the guy in vancouver who has it, and I don't want a headache myself. If it comes over on a truck do I have to pay taxes or a customs charge? How can I find a freight company? Any pointers will be appreciated.
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
junkyardjohn

Re: Canadian shipping????

I'VE NEVER HAD ANYTHING LARGE SHIPPED FROM CANADA, SO I REALLY COULDN'T SAY.... MAYBE IT'S A CAKE WALK. I KNOW THAT THE EXPERIENCES THAT I'VE HAD SHIPPING TO CANADA HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE. SO MUCH SO THAT I WONT SHIP AS MUCH AS A CHRISTMAS CARD TO CANADA. SORRY TO ALL OF YOU GUY NORTH OF THE BORDER, BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP ALL THE UNNECESSARY STRESS OUT OF MY LIFE. DOCTORS ORDERS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
purple gas

There could be a few hassels I spose.. First of all the language barrier. Then there's currancy exchange. Luckily your American Dollar is still worth a little more than our currancy..the Beaver pelt. Once you determine the price of the tranny ( usually you stand the item up, figure out how many beaver pelts are the same height, and that's your price.. Of course you have to pay the tax.. 2 strings of glass beads per pelt, it pays for our healthcare you know ) It will have to be shipped soon, as spring is comming and dog sleds can't go on dirt. Once it gets to the edge of the glacier,, or as you might call it, the border, it should be smooth sailing. There it can be put on a truck for the rest of the journey. Crossing the border should be easier now than in the past. We had a election and have a new Primeminister. So far no one in his administration has referd to Bush as a Bastard or a Moron yet. But seriously, we have Fed ex, Ups, etc, make a few calls to your local agent. They might be able to give you a quote door to door and handle the customs stuff for you. One problem I can see with a tranny, if it's an auto, is the potential for leaking oil, and the weight of course.

Last edited by purple gas; 03-17-2006 at 12:07 PM.
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
cdowns

Buy American
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

It is american, it's just in canada. purple gas :thats some funny sh!t !
Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
junkyardjohn

I REMEMBER IN 1972 (I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL) MY MOM BOUGHT A NEW IMPALA. IT WAS MADE IN CANADA & I GAVE HER A VERY HARD TIME ABOUT IT BEING A "FOREIGN MADE CAR" IS A G.M. CAR MADE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY FOREIGN OR NOT?? JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
70rs/ss

LMFAO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple gas
There could be a few hassels I spose.. First of all the language barrier. Then there's currancy exchange. Luckily your American Dollar is still worth a little more than our currancy..the Beaver pelt. Once you determine the price of the tranny ( usually you stand the item up, figure out how many beaver pelts are the same height, and that's your price.. Of course you have to pay the tax.. 2 strings of glass beads per pelt, it pays for our healthcare you know ) It will have to be shipped soon, as spring is comming and dog sleds can't go on dirt. Once it gets to the edge of the glacier,, or as you might call it, the border, it should be smooth sailing. There it can be put on a truck for the rest of the journey. Crossing the border should be easier now than in the past. We had a election and have a new Primeminister. So far no one in his administration has referd to Bush as a Bastard or a Moron yet. But seriously, we have Fed ex, Ups, etc, make a few calls to your local agent. They might be able to give you a quote door to door and handle the customs stuff for you. One problem I can see with a tranny, if it's an auto, is the potential for leaking oil, and the weight of course.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
blazerparts
No,I DON'T have Tourett's

heh, eh?
blazerparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Does anyone know if fed ex can handle something as big as a trans on a palet?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #10
72armyswbtruck

My suggestions to you are to see if a board member in Seattle could get it for you and then have fedex freight deliver it to you. This would be a great deal cheaper, also most of the local salvage yard around there in Canada can ship the item thru freight and most will if you can have someone talk to them about it. I do know that there is an issue with customs and duties, there is a way to get around it thought, Hopefully one of the Canadian members on the board can assist you with this. Good Luck, BTW what type of Tranny?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
Rod

Figure on a dollar per pound for shipping. It will probably have to be shipped UPS.
There's no duty or taxes on the American end when receiving an item that was made in the USA. I've shipped posi carriers with gears, tach dashes, tilt columns and eaton third members ( which weigh 142 lbs in a crate) down to the USA from Canada. Had not 1 complaint..but its pricier than shipping within the US.
Your limited to 150 lbs going south..or its oversize charges via UPS.
Have the member fill out the customs forms to ship to the US.....and UPS will help them out...its their job..but its easy.
Canada Post Mail limits you to 75 lbs, and is much cheaper than UPS.

It aint that hard to figure put how to get things shipped up to Canada either...but coming north its best to have smaller items shipped in the mail, but we still pay a $5 customs handling fee if not declared as a gift valued under $20 Canadian...then taxes.
Some Canadians panic when they see brokerage fees when item are shipped here via UPS...but you can refuse the item and have it sent back to the UPS warehouse and clear the custom a paper work yourself..if you have the time to go the UPS warehouse ...get the paper work and take it to a Canada Customs office and pay the taxes....yes we pay taxes on those used item..7% provincial sales tax and 7% goods and service tax typically..some province / territories vary their tax rates.
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.

Last edited by Rod; 03-18-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:57 AM   #12
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

A dollar per pound is more than the trans is worth! It's a new process GM 833/my6 I'll check a quote with fedex in the morning. Hello 700r4!!!!
Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
Rod

Well go to UPS site and do a quote and see what the rate is from sellers postal code to your zip....its all available on line. here's the link
http://wwwapps.ups.com/calTimeCost?loc=en_CA
72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:26 AM   #14
409biscayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple gas
Dude , that is funny I might be able to help , is the transm used , rebuilt , new ? Palletized ? Crated ? What kinda weight ? I get a good discount with a couple of freight companies , and they handle the customs paperwork and add the $$$$ to the bill . How quick do you need it in Utah ?
I do travel to SLC monthly . Later ......................... Doug
65 Nova Wagon Drag Car 383 t400 (Dragin-Wagon)
68 c10 cst 396 t400 a/c buckets lwb 4.11 posi (SOLD)
409biscayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:06 AM   #15
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

screw it.If the u.s doesn't need my business then I don't need their product.Chances are very good that they import their inventory from well outside their borders anyhow.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics

Last edited by Rollie396; 03-18-2006 at 04:07 AM.
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
Bowtie67

From a recent experience sending a pcakage to a Canadian Board member, their is custums paper work, If shipping Fedex or UPS this will all be done when filling out the information. Some of these corner stand UPS sights really rip people off, by doing both weight and size of item. When shipping to Canada You wont have Canadians liking you to much if you use UPS, they Gouge the sh!t out of who ever is on the reccieving end. My understanding that shipping from Canada to the US is much easier than ViceVersa. The trans weighs about 75lbs (Minus any Shifter, etc.), Fedex & UPS I dont believe do Pallets, UPS only does 90lbs and Fedex will do up to 150lbs. If at all possible try and find someone with a major Fedex/UPS Account and see if you can reimburse them for any shipping, most of these companies have a somewhat quota they have to maintain to get decent rates, they can also issue a Call Tag, this is where they fill in all the info electronically the tag is delivered by the Fedex/UPS guy to the sender and picked up at the same time.

You can also call both Fedex & UPS and findout how much it will cost.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote