The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #1
LuckyFastEddie

Different take on use of S 10 frame

Still in planning stage of how to use an S 10 frame. I went to DMV(Delaware) and spoke to head man , told him I wanted to use an S 10 as the basis of a hotrod truck. He sugested I buy a truck get it inspected and tagged and then make my modifacations. It does not matter what I do to the cab, front end or bed as long as the frame remains the same and the vin # is attached it will always be an S 10. I even told him I might put a Ford cab on -mostly to get his attention and he said it doesnt matter its still the original S 10. Lets say you use a 47-54 cab,when you remove the S 10 cab etc. you leave the firewall in place along with the brake pedal and booster and all the lines, also the steering colum and wiring. After you attach the new old cab you can figure out where the new mustang 2 front end should go, so the wheels are centered in the wheel openings Hook up the existing brake lines to new front end ,hang the front sheet metal and you are ready to go.
LuckyFastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Re: Different take on use of S 10 frame

Eddie,
From What I see if you change the cab, you change the VIN.
Delaware does not care about this?
What title would it be registered with? A S10 is not a 47-55.
Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Also, I will be registering my 56 as a 56 even with an AWD chassis.
In NJ I still only have to meet the emissions of a 56.
Imagine the cam I can run and be legal
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
LuckyFastEddie

In our discussion we talked about a car/truck that was customized beyond recognition , and he agreed that doing it that way was no different than changing the complete cab. I did not want to argue with him as he was seeing things my way. However. The befoer go this route I will need something ih writing. Aside from the title/registration issue do you see any thing wrong with my reasoning. The rear can be lowered by flipping the axle etc. the front can be lowered with air bags, The cab /front clip can be chaneled if necessary and it all will be sitting on a modern factory designed and I should think safe frame. If you start with a good running/riding vehicle you will have the same one with a new skin.
LuckyFastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Aside from the title/registration issue do you see any thing wrong with my reasoning. The rear can be lowered by flipping the axle etc. the front can be lowered with air bags, The cab /front clip can be chaneled if necessary and it all will be sitting on a modern factory designed and I should think safe frame. If you start with a good running/riding vehicle you will have the same one with a new skin.
This was the main reason I wanted to swap frames,PS,PB,IFS,Disc brakes,and a number of other things come into mind,and regardless of what others think I like the look once it's done.

MO goes by the VIN on the cab,although I think it has to be inspected by the HP the first time,and thier red tape filled out.I haven't checkedit out totaly but that's the way it was several years ago.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
51 68CHEVY

Well In Jersey The Title Goes W/ The Cab Not The Frame. Plus I Think That The Inspection Would Be Hard To Meet If Its Titled As A S/10 And You Drop A V/8 In It. I Drive A 54 Chevy On A 1980 Surburban Frame And The Title Reads 1954 Chevy W/ The Vin # From The Cab. I Also Am Building A 52 1/2 Ton Chevy On A 1986 S/10 Chassis I Shortented It 2 In. And Now In The Prosess Of Making New Body Mts.. Maybe Del. Is Different But I Would Get Something On Paper Before I Started. Just An Appinion. Good Luck

Last edited by 51 68CHEVY; 03-23-2006 at 08:33 PM.
51 68CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
hyatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyFastEddie View Post
Still in planning stage of how to use an S 10 frame. I went to DMV(Delaware) and spoke to head man , told him I wanted to use an S 10 as the basis of a hotrod truck. He sugested I buy a truck get it inspected and tagged and then make my modifacations. It does not matter what I do to the cab, front end or bed as long as the frame remains the same and the vin # is attached it will always be an S 10. I even told him I might put a Ford cab on -mostly to get his attention and he said it doesnt matter its still the original S 10. Lets say you use a 47-54 cab,when you remove the S 10 cab etc. you leave the firewall in place along with the brake pedal and booster and all the lines, also the steering colum and wiring. After you attach the new old cab you can figure out where the new mustang 2 front end should go, so the wheels are centered in the wheel openings Hook up the existing brake lines to new front end ,hang the front sheet metal and you are ready to go.
Why would you put a mustang front end on a s10 frame???
hyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Bierkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
Why would you put a mustang front end on a s10 frame???
It's been over six years. Who knows what he's done.
Posted via Mobile Device

1950 3100 on a 1972 C10 Chassis

Truck Blog

Motorcycle Blog
Bierkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
hyatt

Sorry diddnt notice date New to site so all posts are new to me
hyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyatt View Post
Sorry diddnt notice date New to site so all posts are new to me
You are now officially in the club, it's happened to all of us and some of us who have been around a long time. I think the original poster is long gone or has changed his screen name anyhow as this is the only post I've ever seen his name on.

I will say this, if you are doing an S-10 swap having "both" titles is a plus simply because it solves the issue of where the parts came from. Then the dmv can sort it out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote