The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Novaguy73

Primer...

Are there any decent looking permanant primers out there for body panels that protect against rust very well? I ask because im not going to have the $$$ to paint my truck and its going to be my daily driver. Im thinking of leaving it in a dark grey primer and putting some kind of hand painted oval marking on the doors {ie: so-cal speed shop kind of thing, but not that} Im going at this thing one section at a time and this is down the road but im just curious.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
SLIMJIM

Re: Primer...

Someone has mentioned on here before that Sherwin Williams has whats called a "shiny" primer that protects really well. I will be looking into this as well as I wont be painting my truck for a while either.

SLIMJIM
Old 03-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Any sealer will give the look you are looking for, and if you want something other than gray, you can tint it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

You need to spray flat-clear over your panels to provide "uv" protection from the sun. There are no primers on the market that you can use that are permanent from protecting from rust. All primers contain "talc" that makes the ease of sanding them and absorb moisture. Good luck.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
HotRod71
Short, Fleet, Slammed, V8 Club

What about using Transtar two part epoxy primer. I put that stuff on the doors of the S-dime when I shaved the handles. It was on there for a good 3 years sat outside every day and was driven everyday. It faded from a semigloss to a flat over that period of time but there was not one spec of rust. Now I have to tell you that crap is hard as a brick after 3 years of weather and then trying to sand it off. Once you get through the outter layer you are ok but that top one is a real beast.

71 Chevy SWB Fleetside (WIP)

www.4x4grace.com
HotRod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

epoxy primer is a sealer.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #8
northcountry67

Sherwin Williams makes a "shiny primer/ surfacer" that is weather proof. It comes in 8 different colors. They claim it can be sprayed on and used like a single stage paint. Here is a photo of my truck with the grey on it.

northcountry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Billla
Account Suspended

I've been using PPG DPLF mixed with reducer to make a primer/sealer. Body filler/surfacer/basecoat/topcoat can be applied over it at any time.
Billla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
You need to spray flat-clear over your panels to provide "uv" protection from the sun. There are no primers on the market that you can use that are permanent from protecting from rust. All primers contain "talc" that makes the ease of sanding them and absorb moisture. Good luck.
Not the case - PPG DPLF and other epoxy primers can be mixed to produce a sealer. To your point, the downside is when it's mixed this way it can't be sanded...so a good, wet coat (1.5 mils) is required.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #11
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
epoxy primer is a sealer.
Dude, I can't imagine that I would ever disagree with you and I read your posts and learn something every time.

I have to disagree with this, however - epoxy primer is not a sealer by nature unless you're referencing a particular one. They're made to allow gas to escape - for example, if you're applying over an etching primer.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountry67
Sherwin Williams makes a "shiny primer/ surfacer" that is weather proof. It comes in 8 different colors. They claim it can be sprayed on and used like a single stage paint. Here is a photo of my truck with the grey on it.
Do you have a pointer to this? I wonder a bit at a primer/surfacer being a sealer too...surfacers are made to be sanded, so I'm not clear how it could be a sealer. Not doubting, just would like to read the datasheet.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
northcountry67

I am refering to Sherwin Williams SpectraPrime series P30 surfacer/primer/sealer. I sprayed this stuff on and went back 40 days later and wet sanded it. It has a gloss finish which eliminates the need for painter's guide to find the low spots. The low spots will continue to be glossy after the wet sanding. The Sherwin Williams rep explained to me that you can spray this on and move the vehicle or part outside and come back to it at a later time. It is as weather proof as paint until sanded.
Check out the Sherwin Williams web site and look up the P30 line.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #14
Fmspeed

if it is temporary , while waiting for paint, you might as well paint it with a cheap paint, if u want the primer look , the best way is to pick a grey and add a flatener, if it is garaged all the time, shoot a sealer, if it is out in the weather, primer will fade quick, most of your high end sealers cost more than a cheap one shot paint.
Attached Images

Fmspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.
Works great and doesn't fade like POR15, and you can't paint over it without a lot of hassle.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:03 PM   #16
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

John Deere "Blitz Black".
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #17
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

I've used the SW P50 and was told by the supplier, that happens to be a true body man, that the P50 is a sealer and it does very well with moisture. When applied, it dries to a low lustre finish. Here in Tidewater, VA. we have some very humid weater and this seems to be doing very well..You can Google SW and view their product data sheets.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #18
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
I am refering to Sherwin Williams SpectraPrime series P30 surfacer/primer/sealer. I sprayed this stuff on and went back 40 days later and wet sanded it. It has a gloss finish which eliminates the need for painter's guide to find the low spots. The low spots will continue to be glossy after the wet sanding. The Sherwin Williams rep explained to me that you can spray this on and move the vehicle or part outside and come back to it at a later time. It is as weather proof as paint until sanded.
Check out the Sherwin Williams web site and look up the P30 line.
Reading the datasheet it looks like you can apply this EITHER as a primer/surfacer OR sealer. Is it really still a sealer if sanded? If so, looks interesting!

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/me...glish/5219.pdf
Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #19
northcountry67

I was advised that unless you sand through, it can be used as a sealer and painted directly over. I will personaly vouch that it is the best surfacer I have ever used. It is a bit harder to sand until the gloss is removed, but seems to be a very heavy fill surfacer. I personally use it often, and have even rolled it on to spot repairs to save in masking and booth time. I feel that it is a new product with great potential.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 AM   #20
wibilly

i've been using omni mp170 epoxy primer but you only have 3 days to cover it or it must be reapplyed before proceding i think ppg dp 40 you get 5 days i don't like this.is the sherwin williams stuff the same way? i was at sw saterday{house paint} he told me they cant even buy auto paints. where do you get this stuff?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #21
northcountry67

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibilly
i've been using omni mp170 epoxy primer but you only have 3 days to cover it or it must be reapplyed before proceding i think ppg dp 40 you get 5 days i don't like this.is the sherwin williams stuff the same way? i was at sw saterday{house paint} he told me they cant even buy auto paints. where do you get this stuff?

It was over 45 days before I sanded and painted. Check your local NAPA store, they carry it here in MN.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #22
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
PPG DPLF you can wait as long as you like if it's mixed as a primer/sealer. If you don't surface/topcoat within 5 days then you have to scuff it with some 220.

The "40" is the color of the DPLF, so when you see DP40LF, that just means grey DPLF.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #23
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
I was advised that unless you sand through, it can be used as a sealer and painted directly over. I will personaly vouch that it is the best surfacer I have ever used. It is a bit harder to sand until the gloss is removed, but seems to be a very heavy fill surfacer. I personally use it often, and have even rolled it on to spot repairs to save in masking and booth time. I feel that it is a new product with great potential.
Hmmmm. I would expect that the "gloss" is the sealer - that it settles to the top of the paint layer. I agree that the surfacer aspect is cool, but I guess I still have some doubts about a sealer that can be sanded. I guess the only thing that tells will be time - you'll have to post how it wears and if there are any problems. I think I'll pick up a quart and put some on an old fender out back - sand 1/2 and leave the other 1/2 unsanded and we'll see how things shake out in rainy Seattle :-D

Good thread!
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #24
HotRod71
Short, Fleet, Slammed, V8 Club

Quote:
I have an actual Sherwin Williams Supplier here in Kingsport that I can get it from if they haven's closed up shop. Got half a mind to contact PPG or Dupont and get setup to have my own mixing station and sell it myself. Would cost me less when I am painting something anyway...LOL

71 Chevy SWB Fleetside (WIP)

www.4x4grace.com
HotRod71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #25
Billla
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmspeed
if it is temporary , while waiting for paint, you might as well paint it with a cheap paint, if u want the primer look , the best way is to pick a grey and add a flatener, if it is garaged all the time, shoot a sealer, if it is out in the weather, primer will fade quick, most of your high end sealers cost more than a cheap one shot paint.
Cool truck! :-D