The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #1
tai6mai9shu

Major 4wheeler drive problems 84 GMC

I have a 84 gmc, i was replacing the u-joints in the front drive shaft and i got the two by the transfer case out and the new ones put back in and then i went to put the one at the end of the drive shaft in and i put the center peice in and then i slid the caps on andthey went right in with no hammer no nothing, and the u-joint that both the parts stores gave me had outside snap rings. well thats all fine and dandy with the part of the u-joint that is mounted into the knuckle type thing on the front pumpkin cause that doesnt need the clips and has two little ears that hold the caps on, so then i go to put the outside snap rings on the u-joint that is actually on the shaft and they sit flush with no room for the caps. so i went back to the parts store and told them i need the universal with the inside snap rings and they say that they dont make one? so i have no idea what im going to do for a front u-joint for the front of the front drive shaft?????????? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
tai6mai9shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Major 4wheeler drive problems 84 GMC

They guy at the parts counter is full of crap. He got you the wrong joint, and doesn't want to deal with finding the correct one. Find another parts store, and they can find what you need
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
tai6mai9shu

Well i've went to three parts stores now and i still havent gotten a u-joint for the front drive shaft that bolts onto the front diff. They keep telling me that the shaft has been changed cause none of them have a u-joint with inside snap rings for my 84 gmc k1500, need some help here......
tai6mai9shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
us111

hello,,you might have better luck on the 4x4 forum,,those guys are pretty smart on anything 4x4..
us111 is offline   Reply With Quote