The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
randomhero472

Doing blazer tank.. have questions, HELP!!!

i've got my tank fitted up, heading to the parts store for some hardware/fuel lines and have some questions, there are 3 other tubes/holes besides the filler hole, are all of those vents? there is one on each end that is small w/black caps on them and them one tube right below the filler neck that sticks out some.. im thinking these all have to be vents or for a FI system that requires a fuel return line... last what did you guys who've done this conversion use for a filler tube? im thinking i want to just put it in the bed, but dont know how i could get such a bend to go to the bottom of the bed, especially since i have a stepside, would it be easier to just do the marker light filler??? somebody please chime in, this is all i lack to getting the truck on the road.. thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Re: Doing blazer tank.. have questions, HELP!!!

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum if you haven't already done so. It should help you out quite a bit.

I went to an exhaust shop and had them bend up a fuel filler neck to the specs I needed. It cost me $15 for 1-7/8" exhaust about 40" long with a 95* bend. I also used an S-10 fuel filler neck that I found in a jy that had a cap attached. I just tied the vent line in the filler neck into the vent line of the tank and used a short piece of fuel line rubber to attach the neck with the filler tube.

Btw, the pic actually shows a 73 Suburban filler neck and isn't what I used, but it's the same concept. I'll send it to you if you think you can use it.
Attached Images

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Putter
More Cowbell....

I have a stepside and put mine in the marker location. I didn't want to lean in over the bedside or tailgate to fill the tank. Plus, I might be hauling something that would be over the filler if it were in the bed floor.
I used the filler neck and door from an S-10 (instructions can be found in the FAQ pages).
My filler hose was purchased at an industrial rubber hose company. I think it is a fuel hose for large tanks (I just gave them the required diameter, and they picked it out.)
Mine has the spiral wire laid into the rubber to keep it from collapsing when bent (or to keep it from being crushed when a car drives over it).
I gave less than $10 for a 3-foot section and it clamps on like any other hose.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
randomhero472

ok, just got back from napa.. the filler size on the tank is is 1 1/4" hose, and im guessing the s-10's hose/filler tube is going to be larger than that, if so how do i fix this, go to an exhaust shop and have them shrink a piece down to fit or what?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

try this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...699#post599699

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I have a question on the sidemarker filler.... how do you open it?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Putter
More Cowbell....

With ya' fangas (that's fingers)
You just grab the marker light and pull it open.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
randomhero472

help me!! just got the bed back on and the fuel filler hose is kinked pretty bad, we've lowered the tank 1/2" didnt help, thought about spacing the bed up but the hose is still kinked, what other hose could i use, steel exhaust tube that can bend or what.. im running out of patience here fella's, somebody chime in please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Mudder

It's hard without seeing what you are doing. My truck has a body lift so there is plenty of room between the bed and frame. I don't know how these guys with 2wheel drives do it. Mine looks like this. I used a 90 right below the marine filler.
Attached Images

Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Putter
More Cowbell....

Hey Random....we need more details. I have a regular bed on a regular truck. All the ones I have seen had no trouble.

DID YOU TRIM OR REMOVE THE CROSS BRACE? There is a cross brace that attaches across the bottom of the bed that will almost be exactly in the way.
Some people remove it completely. I trimmed the back side of mine almost completely off to allow the hose to pass by. (my hose goes behind the bed mounting bolt)

Since you have the bed back on, this will be a PITA to do now, but it may fix you issue.

You got pictures?? That would definately help.

And have you read this thread??
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...ad.php?t=74876

Here is the crossbrace. You may need to remove it, or just trim it between the mounting pads.
Attached Images

Last edited by Putter; 03-23-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Putter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
randomhero472

i can get some pics today.. i think its because the filler neck is so small, im using a 1 1/4" fill line, so its not going to take much to pinch it off, we lowered the tank about 3/4".. and yes i did away w/the crossmember in the bed, i should have it back on the road again about 7pm tonite, take it to the gas station and see what happens, also what should i do with those two breather tubes (one on each side) am i suppose to route those to some type of catch can or somthin, i'll have the filler breather's connected, thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #12
randomhero472

also, my orignal tank was ventless
Old 03-23-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
randomhero472

update... got the bed on, truck is running on the road finally... it is very very slow to fill up however, so i think on my next days off im going to take it to my local welding/exhaust shop and have him fab me up a 1.5" tube filler neck so i wont have any kinks.. thanks for all the help guys, i'll have pics of the truck in the morning!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #14
Mudder

You do have to vent the tank to fill. Mine wouldn't even hardly take gas until I vented it.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 AM   #15
jcfoote60

You can also buy fuel filler hose that has wire actually imbedded in the rubber of the hose itself. I couldn't get IT to kink, however the hose that was standard kinked big time going at the angle I had to make. Worked out great after I got the reinforced hose, I can actually fill the tank now without having to babysit it a trickle at a time. Also I do have venting setup with the charcoal cannister (found in a 1972) hooked up to my blazer tank, that probably helps too.
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #16
randomhero472

i vented it through the filler neck and also used one of the vents to vent it, but i think the combo of slightly kinked and small filler hose is making for the slow fill.. and its SLOOW!, im going to take it to my local welding shop and see if he cant fabe me up a 1.5-2" steel filler tube, thanks for all the help fellas