The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2002, 11:04 AM   #1
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

underbed gas tank swap-in info

Anybody that has put a tank under the bed, how do you fill it? I would like to do the conversion, but I'd also like to have a door through the bed SIDE, like all newer trucks. Where can I get a filler hose, door, etc.?
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 11:13 AM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

My filler neck is hidden inside the wheelwell... part of the shaved theme. But you can get brand new filler door kits from Hagan or you can just scavenge from a late model truck, van, or just about anything else made in the last 30 years. If you're going the scavenge route, try to get the unit as one piece out of the quarter panel. You'll probably have to do some adapting with the rubber hose since the neck on the poly Blazer tank is a different size than a lot of newere vehicle's hoses.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 11:51 PM   #3
Scott70Chevy

Everyone seems to want to put a blazer tank under the rear. Has anyone tried putting a tank on the side?

In '88, they put the tanks inside the frame (to be safer than the '73 to '87). Will these fit? Seems like that would be a good way to protect the tank from rear end collisions or off-road excursions, and keep the spare tire underneath as an added bonus.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
Blue68

Most of us would love to put a tank on the side inside the frame rails. Only there's a catch. The trailing arm setup doesn't provide any room for such an arrangement.

'68 C-10 LWB, '98 Z-71 350 w/accessories (Serpentine), Edelbrock Performer, Edelbrock 1405 (600cfm) carb, GM HEI, CompCam Extreme 4x4 roller cam, Thorley Headers, Carter Electric Fuel Pump, Vintage Air, 700r4, 3.73, disc brakes and power steering upgrades.
Blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 08:08 AM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott70Chevy
Everyone seems to want to put a blazer tank under the rear. Has anyone tried putting a tank on the side?
You could build custom tanks but you'd have to build 2 of them to straddle the drive shaft and you'd probably only get about 5-6 gallons worth of volume out of each one. There's just not enough roon there for much more.

Kenneth
Old 07-26-2002, 09:00 AM   #6
Low69CST

If you made the tanks real long and skinny, then you may would be able to squeeze 15-20 gallons out of the set up. You'd also have to have a connector for the 2 tanks at the top, then each one would have to have a sending unit and its own float. I'm a little rusty on my last electric circuit class, i'm not sure if you could wire the floats in series to give your guage the correct reading for the 2 tanks or not. Or maybe opperate them as 2 separate tanks all together. My dad's 87 has this on it. Not sure whats in volved in the wiring and fuel lines.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:58 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

Sounds like a lot of work, but you could either a) tunnel the two tanks together near the front (where you are least likely to get swingarm interference) and thus make them effectively one tank, or b) you could put an in-tank fuel pump in tank 2 and pump fuel over to tank 1, where you'd run the float and the output to the engine.

Again, sounds like a lot of work considering the relative ease of installation of the Blazer tank.

Kenneth
Old 07-26-2002, 06:29 PM   #8
HYPERMAN

Here's one on a stepside around here. The guy said it was from a Pontiac Transport van.

I bought the set up a thr junk yard today. I think I will use it too.

I have to put mine further back as I have the ribs still on the box side.

Peter
Attached Images

HYPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote