The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
SCOTI

"Do You Want To Sell It?"

How many of you guys get this request when you're out in your trucks? I know I get people flagging me down or pulling up to me @ a light, gas station, etc to ask this question.

Twice tonight, on my way home, I was asked if I was interested in selling it. Normally I just say it's not for sale w/o even thinking about it, but..... @ the right price, maybe it should be. It got me to wonder, if the 'right' offer came up, what would I say?

It's a pretty original truck w/an older repaint & a couple of starter rust spots (ok, they're holes). I put rechromed GM 'sport' bumpers on it along w/the smaller GM sport mirrors. The interior is pretty much stock 74 w/the exception of a new(er) 74 dash w/no cracks, 6.5" Memphis Audio component speakers in custom 'pods' in the door bottoms, & an Alpine in dash CD head unit.

It came w/factory tilt; HD rear suspension (12-bolt/3.42's); original 350/350 (pwr steer, brakes, & a/c). I rebuilt the front suspension, lowered it, & replaced all the brake stuff while it was apart. The a/c worked the first summer I drove it (03) but I never got it recharged the following summer (or since ).

I don't think I could get my money out of the wheels & tires so what would be a decent price w/some detailed factory correct ralleys?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Re: "Do You Want To Sell It?"

That is a good question...
Fortunately, because the LAST thing I've done to my truck (haven't YET) is do the body work, NO ONE asks me if I want to sell it..little do they know I have more than $5000 into it.
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I dunno, but with my longbeds, I rarely got a compliment, not to mention a offer to buy it.

My 77 on the other hand, I rarely go on a trip without someone complimenting me about it, or asking how much.

I've basically decided that the magic number is 2500, if someone offers that much, she's sold as is. I want to ask 3000 for it this next summer. My greatest offer so far has been 1500.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
84 400
Sb 400 club

man oh man i get it all the time scoti. when my dad was with the previous owner when he picked it up down in texas in sept. an elderly man at a gas station they went to to fill the tanks was all over it the old owner just smiled. Then when we were driving it back guys in Ak sitting on there front porch asked us if it was for sale i just smiled and said "no sir!" at all the gas stops on the way home people kept staring at it and complimenting it. Ha the guy at wendy's in TN asked if we could "lite em up for him" And even my negiboer here in mass said she thought it looked good"for a boxy truck". however up here it is less complemented then down south. I guess if someone offered me a trade for a 67 to 72 manual stepside 2wd i would trade it but maybe not i really love my truck (the 84 and my avator"
ian
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out

Last edited by 84 400; 03-23-2006 at 02:16 AM.
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I got tired of people saying "everything is for sale". Especially when you know they couldnt rub two nickles together. What I started doing years ago....is...I figure a price that it would take to buy it and then I add about 25% for my sellers remorse factor. When people ask is it for sale I throw out that rediculous number before they can finish the question.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Yeah, I get that sometimes. But it usually is low ball numbers no where near what I want or could hopefully get out of it.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I get that question atleast 3 times a month. I would probably get it more if it wasn't painted the baby sh#t ocher. I think I spelled that wrong. My slammed blue '71 gets it every time I take it out.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I get those questions a couple times a month also, I just ask them would you sell one of your kids? Most say no and I tell them then you answered your own question, but thank you for the compliment on my truck, a lot of hard work went in my baby. Then we both go about our business.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
SCOTI

Like I said, normally I don't even hesitate to think it over. But after last-nights drive home, I thought maybe I should have a number in my head.

$6500 w/o the wheels sound about right?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

I biult a nice 92 Mustang (347/TKO/5 lug discs....) a couple of years ago and a guy came up to me at the gas station less than a week and asked what I wanted for it. I said it's not for sale. He kept asking and asking so I said fine, gimme 13k and a ride home and it's yours. He did (came and got it the next day) and I used that money for a down payment on my house. I miss it, but I can find another project any day, I like biulding them more than anything else anyways.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Like I said, normally I don't even hesitate to think it over. But after last-nights drive home, I thought maybe I should have a number in my head.
I have always told them it is not for sale. Like you, I decided to come up with a price when I got the question twice over the course of a weekend. I decided what I would actually take for it, and no one has asked since then. I don't even remember now what I settled on.

No one would ever go for it, though. The things that sell a truck, like flashy paint and wheels, I have not spent a dime on. I have, however, spent way too much on everything else (front end, engine, transmission, A/C, tires).

Slonaker
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
1Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Snowstorm
I biult a nice 92 Mustang (347/TKO/5 lug discs....) a couple of years ago and a guy came up to me at the gas station less than a week and asked what I wanted for it. I said it's not for sale. He kept asking and asking so I said fine, gimme 13k and a ride home and it's yours. He did (came and got it the next day) and I used that money for a down payment on my house. I miss it, but I can find another project any day, I like biulding them more than anything else anyways.
I had about the same thing happen to me when I had a 80 Malibu. I had it probably 3 years. It was my daily driver and I just kept doing little things to it. So it was nice looking. Guy that worked where I got my gas kept asking me for about six months if I'd sell it. So he came up to me again. I stopped pumping gas gave him a price and told him to pay for the gas I put in it and give me a ride home. Then went and bought a truck I had my eye on. Got more than I had in it and he never even argued it. Wonder if I could of got more????

From that day on I told myself I would never get attached to a vehicle.
more is better
too much ought to be enough........

Last edited by 1Ton; 03-23-2006 at 10:36 AM.
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
Nolowrider

Had a guy last week at the gas station offer me $9,000.00 cash. I had to tell him I could not sell it for any price. Had it too long (22 YRS) and too many good memories. But I did appreciate the offer.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Man, this is a great thread.

I get this offer pretty much every time I fill up. Someone offers me godly amounts of cash for it. I had a guy in a NEW Avalanche with 22s offer to trade slips with me.

But I could never sell it, it's a family truck, and I love my truck, I'll never sell it. For $hit$ and giggles I'll ask price.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
tgh117
Crazy

I get the same thing with my stepside and I don't think its even that nice in its current state but, everytime I pull up somewhere, wow buddy thats a nice truck, would you consider selling it. I usually reply to them, it was nice at one point, now it just has holes in the rockers and is waiting for the time to get new ones, and no I can't sell my truck, has way too much sentimental value.

The gas station seems to be a pretty popular place for people to ask about the truck, or places with large gatherings of people, ex car shows, flea markets, church work darys, and like last year, I pulled a float in the haloween parade and had 7 people tell me my truck was beautiful before it was said and done. I wish it was as nice now as it was 10 years ago when it rolled out of the paint shop, but that will soon change and it will be that nice agian! Only difference that will happen is the color is going to be changed to 2006 lexus red, and then people should be asking everytime the wheels stop I hope!

This thread is great, shows how much people really like our old trucks.

Last edited by tgh117; 03-23-2006 at 01:12 PM.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
bigarmzz

i got offered 8k last weekend for mine...i laughed right in his face
Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #17
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I had a guy a few weeks ago that wanted to buy by 86 K10. I told I'd think about it. Went to talk to him a few days later gave him a price and my number. That's been 2 weeks ago now and no call...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"

Last edited by 72 CustomCamper; 03-23-2006 at 02:53 PM.
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #18
beaterC10

I had a guy offer to buy my truck last weekend. He looked at it a while and talked even longer. Didn't get a price out of him, but he left his name and number.

Yesterday going home from work I lost a head gasket. Maybe I should call the guy and avoid an engine swap.

Anyone need a tired 4.3 to rebuild? You can pick up the lump-o-shXX for free next week.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I've been asked one time at a swap meet. He told me $2K and I laughed. He couldn't figure out why until I popped the hood. Now I've added so much more. Now time for the blazer to get some treatment as well.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
PHOENIX

I've had a few guys ask me if I was interested in selling it.
A couple at a light, a few at the gas station and two guys knocked on my
front door to ask.
I guess the truck looks ok, but you can tell it needs some work.
Maybe they think I don't plan to ever do anything with it.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #21
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

So Far I've Gotten Alot Of " Thumbs Up" And Complements But No Offers. Where I Live The Are Lots Of Customs ,So Maybe Im Just Average? If I Got A Good Offer I'd Sell In A Heartbeat.

SEE PROJECT PICTURES AT CARDOMAIN.COM. SEARCH MEMBER ID TEAMTHC

Last edited by TEAM THC; 03-23-2006 at 05:03 PM.
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #22
Ironclad454
Registered loser

I had a guy walk into the warehouse where i used to work at and offer to buy my 73. I had only had it for like 6 months but I entertained the idea, just trying to see what he'd offer me for it. But then he said it was going to be for his 16 year old daughter to drive to school, that ended that and I told him it wasn't for sale. I wasnt much older (18) but I new it would get trashed sitting in that school parking lot. The guy worked for the City water dept, so everytime id make a delivery to the Water Dept, he'd ask if was for sale. The answer never changed. I wont even consider selling it now.

1996 Buick Riviera 3.8L S/C V6- DD
1973 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super C/10 LWB 454/TH350
Ironclad454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yep, I get it all the time in my 77. The first show I took it to I had a guy ask as soon as I pulled up. I said sure it's for sale and threw him a price. He bent my ear all day long about how serious he was before I found someone else that had a Chevelle for sale that he wanted.

I just set a price that will make them choke. If they are a real player the price is just a starting point. If not they are scared away. As I always say, everything around my house is for sale except my wife, my daughter, and my dog. Then there are days that my wife or dog ain't safe either...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #24
DroppedZ84
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Yep, I get it all the time in my 77. The first show I took it to I had a guy ask as soon as I pulled up. I said sure it's for sale and threw him a price. He bent my ear all day long about how serious he was before I found someone else that had a Chevelle for sale that he wanted.
I would say, with all the new additions, $20k would be right for your truck Ken...even though I know you have more into it than that.
DroppedZ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #25
MrBinAz

Couple of months back had a guy shadowing me and the burb for about ten miles on my way to work...........it was kinda freakin me out......I thought that I may have pissed him off without knowing it and was not going to make eye contact with him thinking that would provoke him...........what happened when we got to the stoplight just got my heart racing big time when he stepped out the the car and headed towards me...........I mean right there with everyone else waiting.......he then starts asking if I want to sell it to him right there.....he's making offers and I'm saying no way.
Shoulda done it..........later that night I got slammed by a 16 yearold punk running a stop sign who I had to chase after to get him to own up.
Well that's a story for another day.
'89 Honda Civic Si HB
'89 Honda Civic Dx HB
'08 Honda Element EX-P
'78 Honda Express (50cc. pit-ped)

pix here
MrBinAz is offline   Reply With Quote