The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
alf1096

Brake Help

I pulled the front rim off my 70 truck today. The po said that he took disk brakes off of a 71 suburban and put them on the truck. I went to turn the disc and it will turn by hand but you can hear the disk and the pad rubbing without the brakes appied. I am no brake expert but I dont think they should rub. How do I fix this problem. Here are some pic if you need more info let me know

thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
rokitdude
Shade-Cactus Mechanic

Re: Brake Help

Shouldn't be any real problem. Disc brakes are a floating design, meaning as the pads wear, they just keep moving closer to eachother. They will always lightly contact the disc, as there is no retract mechanism to pull the piston (and therefore the pads) back after you release the pedal.

It does look like you have goop or grease in there contaminating the pads though. Probably not the best situation, and pads are cheap (like $15 for the whole front end). Use OEM pads - they wont eat up your rotors like ceramics or semi-metallics.

Also, your caliper pistons look kinda corroded. Rebuilt calipers are cheap too at run-of-the-mill auto parts stores.

Last edited by rokitdude; 03-28-2006 at 08:07 PM.
rokitdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
72armyswbtruck

Looks fine to me aswell, however if you want to be on the safe side you could check the calipers or pistons and replace them, but as long as they are stopping fine and not sqeekin then why bother at this point
Save the huge up front expense and buy one part at a time, calipers this month then next month pads, then next month rotor or whatever
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
72armyswbtruck

Oops sorry I just took a second look and it seems like the pads are corrodid, you might want to replace them
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
alf1096

thanks for all of the quick responses....I have never replaced pads before does any one have a how to...or can give some pointers.....also is there anyway to tell what year those brakes came off of.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Those are 71-72 brakes.

Two clues to identify them...

1) The rotors have the groove in them. They quit doing that in 73
2) The brake hose connects to a tab on the front side of the crossmember. They only did that in 71-72. In 73 and newer, the brake hoses go through holes in the framerails.