The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

Rebuilding Vent Windows

I Need some info on rebuilding my vent windows, is it hard to replace the rubber? Any tips and/or tricks for polishing the chrome to make a beutiful shine and lastly any tips/tricks for replacing the window channel weatherstrip or felt?
80 GMC K10 High Sierra bone stock
70 Chevelle 350SS long term project
68 GMC 3ton Grain Truck/Garbage wagon
50 Pontiac 2 Door Coupe Project
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Blue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:55 PM   #2
formula_raider

Re: Rebuilding Vent Windows

I just did this about 2-months ago and it wasnt too hard just tedious. Most vendors sell a rivet kit for the vent windows and a "rivet setting tool". You need to get this to replace the weatherstrip that is toward the inside of the vent window. You will see these rivets when you remove the old window channel runner felt. This is the long piece that the the window slides against when you roll it down. Anyway, you need to drill out these rivets, that will let you remove the inner triangle weather strip and the vertical strip. Then you will use the new rivets and setting tool to put in the new vertical strip, then you can install the triangle piece. Then rivet the ends. You will see when you get it out. Basiclly you need; Complete vent window weatherstrip kit: 03-807 $29.99, vent assembly rivets: 03-825, vent rivet setting tool: 03-835 and Vent Pivot Rivets: 03-831 from Chevy duty. The vent pivot rivet is at the point where the vent window swings, you will destroy these when you take the unit apart and need to replace. This will be the last thing to do when you finish assembly. Its not too hard just tedious. I painted mine, so I cant say too much about polishing up the chrome, except use 000 fine steel wool. Good Luck.
formula_raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
matthufham

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_raider
I just did this about 2-months ago and it wasnt too hard just tedious. Most vendors sell a rivet kit for the vent windows and a "rivet setting tool". You need to get this to replace the weatherstrip that is toward the inside of the vent window. You will see these rivets when you remove the old window channel runner felt. This is the long piece that the the window slides against when you roll it down. Anyway, you need to drill out these rivets, that will let you remove the inner triangle weather strip and the vertical strip. Then you will use the new rivets and setting tool to put in the new vertical strip, then you can install the triangle piece. Then rivet the ends. You will see when you get it out. Basiclly you need; Complete vent window weatherstrip kit: 03-807 $29.99, vent assembly rivets: 03-825, vent rivet setting tool: 03-835 and Vent Pivot Rivets: 03-831 from Chevy duty. The vent pivot rivet is at the point where the vent window swings, you will destroy these when you take the unit apart and need to replace. This will be the last thing to do when you finish assembly. Its not too hard just tedious. I painted mine, so I cant say too much about polishing up the chrome, except use 000 fine steel wool. Good Luck.
and for chrome, use steel wool, and a buffer disk on an electric drill with some polishing compound

Last edited by matthufham; 03-30-2006 at 12:12 AM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
HeavyD

Formula does the new rubber seal like the GM ones did? I thought I remembered some people replacing the rubber with repo stuff and having wind leaks. Any problems?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
Jayss109

my passenger side does seem to have a slight leak, havent taken the time to track it down. Drivers side kicked my ass, and still cant get the rubber to "lay down" onto the body panel at the rear of the quarter. Not a huge deal, but doesnt look like Id like it to. Tedious is an understatment. its a total PITA!! Especially if youve never done it! Window regulators are a whole nother can of worms.

J
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited by Jayss109; 04-27-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Jayss109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

Hmmm, Sounds like fun.
"I've got a shotgun rifle and a 4 wheel drive and a country boy can survive" Hank Jr.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Blue85
Oilfield Trash

So even to change the window channel (long one) you have drill the rivets out and replace them?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
GMCPerson

I used pop rivits in place of the factory rivits holding the short weatherstrip in. I made an extension that I put on the shaft of the rivitbefore putting the rivit in the gun. I had to do this because the tip of my rivit gun was to wide to fit in the u channel. They worked fine.

The L shaped rubber was a real pain to put in. I got most of it in and then quit because I was so frustrated with it. The next day I finished one side. After doing it once, I determined that I could ArmorAll the other side and make it look almost new. This saved me a lot of upset words.
GMCPerson is offline   Reply With Quote