The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Angry RANT and a plea to vendors

Ok, I just spent 2 hours trying to find any information on how to install my cab mounts because the vendor I bought them from (no need to name names) decided it is not in my best interest to print out a 2¢ sheet of paper showing how they mount.

VENDORS: if you sell body and/or radiator mounts, AT LEAST have the common courtesy to either:

A) give people a sheet of paper showing how to install your body mounts. It costs you almost nothing to print out and will save your customer a buttloand of hassles (Everyone has a different kit).

or

B) print a website address where a person can find help on the invoice, on a sticker attached to the hardware bag or somewhere - not to mention a link to install instructions at your freakin' website on the product description page!

I know two major well-known sellers who have this issue with not giving out instructions on cab/radiator mounts and I hope all vendors will understand just how frustrating it is for your customers to receive poor instructions or even worse NO instructions. Are we supposed to be mind readers here? Are we supposed to magically know what this mess of rubber pucks is and how it fits together? Mine were so rusted up I wouldn't have been able to tell what was a thick washer and what was thin.

I regularly see threads like this one:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=192342

I got screwed by this one just now and unfortunately, my cab mount kit doesn't use the same setup of mounts as you see in the picture there. Mine has additional large washers (two thick, two thin) and ... I couldn't figure it out. I'm going to need to call the vendor tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm pissed. I could have gotten in a good 3 hours work today but I can't even figure out how to properly install my mounts. I feel like an idiot and I don't believe it's my fault!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-29-2006 at 10:57 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
TRUCKGUY

Re: RANT and a plea to vendors

havent read all of it but i agree!!
66 F100 302/C6/9" short fleet
67 IH 4x2 304/t984speed D44 373 locker lwb box
67 IH 4x4 304/t98 4speed/d44/d60 4.10'slwb box
67 IH Travelall 4x4 304/t98 4speed/12bolt/10bolt
81 2wd short fleet current build!
83 350/700r4 short fleet
88 k5 12" lift 3/4 ton swap mud toy
96 Dodge 3500 CUMMINS/5speed/4x2
97 Pontiac Trans Am WS6/LT1 383/6speed/T-tops
TRUCKGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
jrb71c20

yeahhhhhhhhhhhh, get em.....hit em with da jab.....GET EM......GRRRRRR
jrb71c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree, although, personally haven't had the problem yet.
It's kinda like when you buy an aftermarket intake...then you have to spend another 20 bucks in pipe plugs, nipples and gaskets. Real PITA.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
rauto13
saving one more

I'm with ya Shifty, I have put cab & radiator support mounts in mine and it was all guesswork, I really am not sure if I did it right or not.

Nothing fell off though
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauto13
I'm with ya Shifty, I have put cab & radiator support mounts in mine and it was all guesswork, I really am not sure if I did it right or not.

Nothing fell off though
Thats how I do stuff. Pure guesswork and what little knolwedge I have. Instructions are OK though, I guess.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I just took a picture of the originals before I removed them.Sounds like your's were in pretty bad shape though so mebbe it wouldn't have helped in your case,who knows.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Put mine in like they came out. One of the easiest things I've done.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

i agree...my old ones were not to bad of shape..so i could compare them...
but..i found i had a couple extra parts there...i guess this is so they would fit other models...
and no there was not any instructions
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
Tim Christian

Shifty, The digram you have shown in the other post is correct for your truck if you are doing the 68 I don't beleive I sold them to you who knows??? Ours does not include instructions. I have never gave it much thought some people will ask but if I am not there I doubt if the wife or other guy that works for me could answer that question. What is a small bussiness to do? Could sell you a Assembly Manual Just Kidding. If you don't figure it out PM me and I will try to help you
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian
Could sell you a Assembly Manual Just Kidding. If you don't figure it out PM me and I will try to help you
I actually might take you up on that

Nah, you didn't sell 'em to me. I'm a little over it at this point, feel kinda stupid for posting this, but ... it seems like such a simple gesture. I hope some of the vendors sit down and think about it, it seems like such simple customer service to me - you sell something, you should tell people how to use it. If nothing else, even if the person is Boyd Coddington, send the instructions. I'm guessing several more people will post in here and tell their horror stories.

Still not sure why it makes sense to make pretty plastic packages for a mount kit with multiple parts and not tell someone how to put em together Just a thought! This is not directed at you, Tim.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-29-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
72armyswbtruck

Do you mind if I ask who they came from?
Which mount do you need help with and what year?
I like brothers because the pics are pretty good.
I do agree that good vendors should include pics with the mounts and brackets. It just makes good business sense.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I had the same thing happen, but with a carrier bearing. Kit included two "spacers" ??? But did not include a diagram or written instructions. Neither did my service manual or assembly manual. I didn't have any spacers when I took the old one off, so didn't include them when I reassembled. Now I have a squeak because my carrier housing rubs on my drive shaft. 2¢ worth of paper would have saved me a lot of future hassle.

Preach on Shifty.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #14
northcountry67

What about those of us who took their truck apart, moved twice, let it sit in pieces for years then finished the body work and bought new mounts only to realize that we have had too many beers since dis-assembly to remember how they went together?
Oh yeah, someone should send Boyd Coddington instructions on how to register a hot rod legally.
northcountry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 AM   #15
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I understand your pain, but there are hundreds of parts in most of our inventories, and we can't print up instructions for all of them. When you go to an auto parts store, most of the parts do not come with instructions. You are expected to use maintenance/assembly manuals and experience to do the replacement.
If the manufacturer doesn't print special instructions, there is probably no way a small dealer can handle that requirement for everything. Most of our smaller dealers are very knowledgeable and will gladly help you out, if you ask. The big dealers won't or can't.
Having said all that, incidently, I do print hand drawn diagrams of the body mounts. I have not done the core support, as the 67-8 CS kit I use does come with some...
and this is why I would rather sell to my customers face-to-face and not mail order. It saves a lot of confusion and hard feelings.
I recomend you do not give your supplier's name, as requested by someone else on here. It could cause some unnecessary negative reactions.
PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:23 AM   #16
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP
I understand your pain, but there are hundreds of parts in most of our inventories, and we can't print up instructions for all of them. When you go to an auto parts store, most of the parts do not come with instructions. You are expected to use maintenance/assembly manuals and experience to do the replacement.
If the manufacturer doesn't print special instructions, there is probably no way a small dealer can handle that requirement for everything. Most of our smaller dealers are very knowledgeable and will gladly help you out, if you ask. The big dealers won't or can't...

...I recomend you do not give your supplier's name, as requested by someone else on here. It could cause some unnecessary negative reactions.
Frank addresses this issue correctly IMO, and it is true most auto parts stores don't provide the granularity of detail you seek either. Rightly or wrongly, it is assumed you have the basic reference material in your possession. Guys like Frank don't "hand pick" the hardware and package it for you, they retail pre-packaged goods.

How long did you have these mounts in your possession before you realized you had no directions? If more than a few hours I would think you could have mitigated your aggravation by either A) Calling the vendor; B) Post the question here. I think rather than "rant", you could accept some culpability here and work within the system, rather than raising rancor. There is a polite way to address a shortcoming, this certainly was not it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
...I feel like an idiot and I don't believe it's my fault!
Regarding the above quote: Yes, you should (because of you initial post), on point A; Not entirely, on point B

Maybe you should get one of these?
Attached Images

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all

Last edited by CPNE; 03-30-2006 at 10:29 AM.
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPNE
How long did you have these mounts in your possession before you realized you had no directions?
It came from a well known and well respected vendor, so I just assumed what was in the box was correct because the packing list said so. I had no fear that they would stand true if it weren't. I left the items in the box until I had a chance to install them...so, to answer your quesiton, it was about 2 weeks that I had the parts w/o realizing there were no instructions.

Last edited by shifty; 03-30-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
CochinoFilipino

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...spagenameZWDVW

This is money well spent. I got mine for $10 to my door.

If you do a search on ebay you'll see a Chassis Service Manual and a Chassis Overhaul Manual. Not sure what the differences are. Thinking of getting the overhaul one out of curiosity.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
When you go to an auto parts store, most of the parts do not come with instructions. You are expected to use maintenance/assembly manuals and experience to do the replacement.
So, if it's OK for a major auto parts chain to do it, that makes it acceptable practice for everyone? If you operated your business in other ways like they do (which I know you don't), you'd lose all your business

Quote:
I recomend you do not give your supplier's name, as requested by someone else on here. It could cause some unnecessary negative reactions.
I will not and have made that clear in above posts. No worries on that there - while some think otherwise after a recent vendor post, I *do* respect all vendors out there and this is intended to be a positive thread in the hopes of seeing some change, not a chance to tar and feather anyone.

Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
...while some think otherwise after a recent vendor post, I *do* respect all vendors out there and this is intended to be a positive thread in the hopes of seeing some change, not a chance to tar and feather anyone.
Positive threads do not start with the "angry" smiley, nor do they start with the word RANT (shouted). They also don't use the words "screwed" or "pissed". Lets face it, you got into a situation that most of us have been in and felt the need to ***** and blame, failing to note that you had the parts for several weeks and never opened or inspected the contents. I'm glad you refrained from naming the vendor(s) because of a lack of foresight. Lesson learned, order ahead of time and inspect your parts when they arrive. Then if you don't get a timely response to a problem, feel free to RANT.

As they say "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on their part." Pun intended.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #21
Ron 586
RIP Mr Ron

My main concern in wanting instructions is we have a lot of first time truck owners who have never had a lot of time with a wrench in their hands. Dad is a suit and tie man that can't change the spark plug in his 3 1/2 horsepower lawnmower. In the thrill of the moment you yank off parts and don't lay it in order or mark and bag it. When you go back to put it together it's hard to remember thick on top or bottom. But to hear my wife tell it I don't ever read directions anyway. She's wrong I do on anything that I haven't did before.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

TN Message Forum

TN Facebook Group

SETN Truck Show

My Photobucket
Ron 586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #22
72armyswbtruck

Shifty, thanks for the PM, I apologize for asking, it is kinda rude, Hope this venting helped. Good luck
Old 03-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #23
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

I heard once that companies stopped included the instructions w/ there parts because customers couldn't read japanese or korean...........lol..jk
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #24
70rs/ss

I ordered a set of Urethane bushings from Summit and they had instructions, as well as picts. I didn't read the directions, but WOW the picts were a great help!! That being said, they were not energy suspension, they were an off brand but cheaper than energy. Either way it is good to let it out!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #25
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

The kit I ordered came with instructions for the core support, but not the cab supports. AND it only came with enough washers for the top of the "hockey pucks" and my washers were actually rotted out, so I'm assuming the "hockey pucks" didn't need the lower washers because they had a ring that fit down inside the mount bolt hole. It did kinda suck not having them. I could have gone by my original mounts, but I didn't have all of the parts to make it the same, and without instructions, how are you supposed to install a "non-stock" set of parts made for your stock truck?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 03-30-2006 at 12:01 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote