The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Zonaman

Ethanol questions

I've been hearing about Brazil & their use of ethanol. Is this some type of gas/alcohol blend (beyond the winter blends we use), or all alcohol? . Can your average 350 Chevy run off this stuff? If yes, how elaborate are the mods? How's performance. Appreciate anything you guys can tell me.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zonaman; 03-31-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
stynchrr

Re: Ethanol questions

I did a google search and came up with some great sites about this. From what I read they are running a 85% ethanol to 15% gas mix. aka E85 This has a higher octane but lower BTU. An average 350 could run off of this stuff but the ethanol being a alcohol is crossive which requires lining of the gas tank and fuel lines as well as any other part that contacts the fuel. The lower BTU number means less power than regular gas. More info is on the net I think this is a great alturnitive fuel source because it is made in the USA and renewable. Just my .02 hope it helps
Tim
stynchrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
chevy72402
FARMER/RANCHER

heck we have E-85 here in SD, most all the stuff that I fill up with around the country is a 10% blend of ethanol and your regular fuel. but E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% fuel, it burns hotter at this mixture and you get crap for fuel mileage at the 85% blend IMO. I ran 2 tanks of E-85 in my new pickup I ended up only getting 9 MPG where I was getting over 14 MPG on regular 10% blend, so needless to say I don't like filling up everytime I go to town.

As for the 10% blend, I haven't had any problems with it, run it in lawnmowers, dirt bikes, street bikes, pickups, cars, anything that runs on gas and it hasn't caused one bit of problems.

1972 Chevy Blazer 2wd, tach, tilt, a/c, my first engine overhauling experience, Orange, with white top

2006 Gmc Sierra, XM, Z-71, dark blue, onstar, leather, rear entertainment (audio only) heated seats, (the wife loves that feature) upgraded tires immediately after purchase to Goodyear Wrangler AT/S (hate those rock throwers that come from the factory)
BWC
chevy72402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

Lots of answers for you there including a list of cars and engines that will support it, including info about where to get it. South Carolina seems to be one of the states with the most suppliers. It usually runs about 5%-20% cheaper than gasoline.

I had looked into this a while ago and posted this thread that's got a bit of info in it:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=189935

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
72armyswbtruck

I have ran ethanol mixtures in my vehicles with no problems, there is a big push in some states to maek this a mandatory fuel, e85 that is. Great for farmers
Old 03-31-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

i've heard arguments to the contrary about whether it's good for farmers. i can't remember if that was talked about in the thread i just linked up - believe it was.

just gotta remember, ever action has a reaction and/or consequence. sometimes we get so excited about the action, we fail to consider the reaction and/or consequence.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote