The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
PLavelle

Adding a sump to my gas tank

I'll hopefully be pulling my gas tank out this weekend to clean it up and send it over to a wedling shop to have a sump put in it. Is there anything special I'll need to know about pulling the tank out of the cab, or putting it back in?

Thanks for the help,
Pete
Old 03-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Adding a sump to my gas tank

I have pictures of mine :

http://www.satellitehead.com/gallery...album=11&pos=0

Click the link, then click the picture for a close-up, take a look at it as I type and I'll tell you what I can...

Remove your seat. There is a hard line going down into the floor. Get under the truck - you should have a rubber line connecting that line to the line going down the framerail, pop off your gas cap, then disconnect that soft line and prepare for a little gas to come out of the front half and possibly the back half of the line, have a bucket ready.

Detach your sending unit wire (brown). Unbolt the seatbelts if they overlay the tank like you see they do in mine, then undo the top 3 (?) and bottom 4 (?) bolts. I have this strange feeling in my mind there were two bolts under the cab also but they mighta just been nuts (I can't remember).

Before you pull out the tan, make sure it will lift up. The two hardest parts are here:

1) Removing the rubber gromit from the floor (for hard fuel line)
2) Removing the rubber ring for the filler neck.

If anyone can chime in with tips on that, you should be golden.

Once you get it out, I highly suggest sanding and prepping the back wall with something like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator (comes in a rattle can for easy use), let it set up for a day or so and Dynamat or Brownbread the back wall of the cab, it is supposed to significantly reduce road noise.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 03-31-2006 at 02:03 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
PLavelle

Re: Adding a sump to my gas tank

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write all that out for me, Shifty. That'll definitely be a huge help!