The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
jbboater

New Project, Many Questions

Just bought a 68 swb chevy truck. I have been looking over this board for days and have already found answers to many of my questions. But a few I have not had any luck with.

Patch panels- What company or vendor has the best quality. I notice gmc pauls claims to have heavier stock than the rest. I need pieces to repair the wheelwell on a fleetside, rocker (inner outer) cab supports, cab corners and lower front fenders.

Welder- Planning on purchasing a mig, any input on size requirements,brand etc?

What is the "tower"? I am planning on removing the 250 six and dropping in a bbc mated to a turbo 400 or maybe an overdrive auto (suggestions) but it seems this "tower" relates to the engine size?

Thanks for the help, sorry if I missed any of the answers in other posts but I did try to find.
jbboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: New Project, Many Questions

Welcome to the board. You will find the vendors on this board sell good quality parts. I have enjoyed buying from Ed with Mothertruckers, GMC Pauls, Tim with Christian's Classic Trucks and I believe I have also bought from Wes at Classic Heartbeat. You will find that each of these places are extremely knowledgeable about these trucks and that sure is nice when you have questions.

The towers are what the engine mounts attach to. The towers are different between the 6 cylinder, sbc and bbc.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
jbboater

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I have found a 77 Suburban 2WD c20 that has the motor-tranny I want (454 Turbo 400). I was hoping to use the PS, front crossmember (to convert to power discs), and air conditioner. I now realize that this truck has the 8 lug wheels. Can I salvage any of the front end or is it all useless to me?
jbboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

from PA! since your swb is a C-10 (5 lugs) then the 8 lugs stuff is mostly useless to you, what you need is 5 lug stuff, you could sell or trade the C-20 suspension for a half ton stuff.

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
rtsmith

I would recomend a solar model 2175 , 220v welder I've had one and using it for over 15 years it welds upto half inch steel and aluminum handles any body panels you need to weld, just my opinion, good luck and welcome from Pa.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Get the best welder you can afford,you won't regret it.I bought a Lincoln Handy Core at Lowes,and I like it really well.Good welder for under $200,but I wish I had bought one with a gas hookup.Lincoln makes good welders IMO,I have an Arc by them also,good gear,decent price.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
mblackburnjr
collector of vintage rust

One thing i didnt realize at first when i swapped my 6 cyl 3 speed to 350/350 was that the crossmember for the 3 speed is rivited in. I had to hammer & chisel those bad boys.......just a heads up if yours is a 3 speed also.
mblackburnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblackburnjr
One thing i didnt realize at first when i swapped my 6 cyl 3 speed to 350/350 was that the crossmember for the 3 speed is rivited in. I had to hammer & chisel those bad boys.......just a heads up if yours is a 3 speed also.
Yup all standards are that way.PITA!
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote