The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
MazaM

Share the Excitement - and a few questions

Hi everyone. I've been following the board for almost a year now since I bought my 80 truck. It is the style I've always wanted except it's not 4wd. I bought it running knowing the reverse was slipping but now about 10 months later, the tranny gave out. I was looking around for a replacement trans and found a 90 suburban to use for parts. The front clip and doors are great shape and it has a 700r4 with a lockedup 350 TBI and my truck has a th350 with a 350 carb. At first I was just going to put in the 700r4 and use the front clip and doors. Now it has progressed to changing my carb to tbi and pulling my motor out to clean and reseal. I have used the search feature to find most answers to my questions but I have a few still but the only one I can rememeber now follows. I am sure I will have more later. Also any suggestion are appreciated.

1. How do i deal with the fuel lines. The tbi uses a supply and return line, correct?? Can i utilize the pump in suburban??

I have attached a few pictures for now to see if i post pics correctly so i hope this works. If the picutes dont work, someone point me in the right direction to learn to post please. thanx. Mike
Attached Images

MazaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Prerunner1982

Re: Share the Excitement - and a few questions

you could use the sub tank to and drop it in behind the rear axle.. this is a common mod as well..

also just a suggestion, you might put your general location in your info that shows up under your user name.. it's not required but we all ike to see where everyone is from.. sometimes it helps to answer questions.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Glad to see another Big 10 from Texas Like Jon mentioned the swap is a common one look here for some info http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/blazertank.html You will also need to reuse the fuel pump. The computer as well will be needed to run the TBI but should be not too bad since pretty close in the engine bay section.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

You guys are assuming that Blazers and Suburbans have the same tank. Do they? I thought someone on here recently said a Suburban tank would not fit. Captkaos would know for sure...

My sister-in-law lives in Corpus Christi. Your house looks like her neighborhood. I'll keep an eye out for a Big 10 whe I am down there.

Slonaker
Old 04-09-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

You're right we are assuming that. I think they are the same since they mount up in the same place but like you mentioned Chris would know if anyone.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
MazaM

Hey thanks guys, I was looking into it and I think I am going to try and go with at external fuel pump to keep my dual tank setup. I think that would work, right? I still need to figure out what I do with the gas return line from the tbi. It dumps back into one of the tanks i think but I am not sure how. Today I pulled the computer and wiring harness and began to try and sort it out. The motor was already disassembled - intake off, tbi off, all sensors disconnected, etc.. - before I purchased it so I am trying to make better sense of everything. I was thinking of finding someone with a similar setup to take picutures of the way the brackets are bolted to the intake. Appreciate any suggestions.
MazaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #7
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

If you get a sending unit for a 87 truck then you could use it but the switch for the dual tanks also need to be able to turn on the right sending unit. If anything to get it up and running you could use the sending unit from the burb to fit in the tank of the truck (if it will fit) to get it up and running with the external pump. Then you could add the other tank and unit later on.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
kevinr1970

I was talking to my gf's dad the otehr day and he had just finished putting a efi 5.0 (ford) in his '58 Fairlane. He said for the fuel return he just ran it back to a junction about half way back and plumbed it in there. This might not make any sence but I will talk to him this weekend and get him to explain it again.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote