The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
HeavyK20

Shackle Flip or 4" Springs

I am ready to lift my rig. Should I go shakle flip or 4" springs? Both options are about the same price. Springs seem like the easier route but Offroad Design says their shakle flip will give a beeter ride due to flatter springs. Can I get some comments on the advantages/disadvantages of each system?

Thanks.

1969 K20, 465/205 package
HeavyK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Prerunner1982

Re: Shackle Flip or 4" Springs

it will give a better ride and more articulation.. if thats what you are after.. i have seen an on going contravery about the towing capability of a rig with a shackle flip... you can find out more at www.coloradok5.com .. There are a few members here that have done this and should be able to put in thier $0.02.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
HeavyK20

Mine is going to be a towing rig. I won't be going offroad.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
1Ton

I think for your application I would go with springs. Get a heavy spring not a softride. The softrides will sag after towing with them a bit.
more is better
too much ought to be enough........
1Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

I have the shackle flip on my 69 K20. If you have a bed on your truck, the rear axle is moved forward a bit and looks a little odd. I have towed a bit with the shackle flip and never had any issues. These loads were mainly a 20' or so trailer loaded with hay.

Last time I looked rear springs were still a good bit more expensive than the shackle flip, but if you are finding a set at about the same price, I would probably recommend you get them. Not a big job, but cutting or grinding the rivets to remove the old bracket can take a while.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
HeavyK20

Yukon Jack, You are right about the price of springs. I had the price of front springs stuck in my head, rear springs are at least a $100 more.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack
I have the shackle flip on my 69 K20. If you have a bed on your truck, the rear axle is moved forward a bit and looks a little odd.
A shackle flip will fix that? I've been trying to think of cheap ways to make the rear end sit more in the middle of the fendwell, and not so close to the bed so it won't look as goofy. Haven't thought of anything yet.
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKES 68GMC
A shackle flip will fix that? I've been trying to think of cheap ways to make the rear end sit more in the middle of the fendwell, and not so close to the bed so it won't look as goofy. Haven't thought of anything yet.
Cheap way... redrill the spring perch where you want it.

The issue with the flip kit and towing is the strength of the shackle. Original shackle was make for tension loads and when using the flip kit, becomes compression loaded. The flip kit from ORD is $185 and they also make a heavy duty welded up shackle that are $145 I think. That puts the price closer to rear springs but I think it is better than a stiffer ride on these old trucks. If you are still wondering, I am going to be using the ORD flip kit.

Mike

Last edited by Musclerodz; 04-10-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
scotto0609

I believe ord also makes a offset shim to correct the problem.
scotto0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #10
4x4Poet

Custom lift springs would be the best, but not the lest expensive, for towing, IMO. The thick, progressive spring pack would give a decent ride while fighting axle wrap better than any solution short of an anti-wrap bar. Alcan Spring has a good rep for making custom springs. Quotes are free.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKES 68GMC
A shackle flip will fix that?
On my truck, once I added the shackle flip the axle appeared to be closer to the front of the fender opening.

Here is a link to my website and info on installing the shackle flip. At the bottom you will see a pic of how the rear axle looked when I had a bed on the truck. This was 4" front springs with the ORD 4" shackle flip for the rear axle.

Last edited by Yukon Jack; 04-11-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto0609
I believe ord also makes a offset shim to correct the problem.
That's a "Zero Rate". It's basically a 1" thick steel block with offset holes in it so you can reposition the axle in relation to the center pin. I think the offset is 1.5" or so, which should fix the off center axle problem when using the shackle flip.

Just to clear up too, because someone mentioned redrilling the mounting holes for the shackles, the reason for the axle moving more toward the front of the wheelwell is because the rear mounting point was moved down. The front shackle is in a fixed position, and locates the rear axle/leaf spring at the front spring eye. Moving the rear mounting point down rotates the whole assembly around the front spring eye, moving the location of the axle more toward the front of the wheelwell. The front shackle would have to be removed, moved back the proper amount to center the axle in the wheelwell, then you'd have to redrill holes in the frame to mount the front shackle in the correct position. Seems like a pain. It would probably be much easier and less time consuming to order a set of Zero Rates from ORD when ordering the shackle flip, and plan on installing them offset to keep the axle on center.

Yukon Jack, excellent pics and writeup on your install, I'm sure it clears up a lot for us!
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
HeavyK20

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to go with springs. I ordered 4" Tuff Countrys and Rancho RS9000X Shocks. Also getting extended brake lines from Inline Tube.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
JAKES 68GMC
Aluminum slot wheels rule...

Hmm. You could combine 4 zero-rate blocks from ORD= 80 bucks+ 1in. lift. Then buy two pairs off add-a-leafs(front and rear_= about 100 bucks+ 1.5-2.5 inches of lift. All in all, 2.5 to 3.5 inch total lift for about 200 bucks, give or take a little. Plus there isn't any lift blocks, and your rear axle looks better.

It's sad to be cheap, isn't it???
JAKES 68GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:54 PM   #15
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Just to clear up too, because someone mentioned redrilling the mounting holes for the shackles, the reason for the axle moving more toward the front of the wheelwell is because the rear mounting point was moved down. The front shackle is in a fixed position, and locates the rear axle/leaf spring at the front spring eye. Moving the rear mounting point down rotates the whole assembly around the front spring eye, moving the location of the axle more toward the front of the wheelwell. The front shackle would have to be removed, moved back the proper amount to center the axle in the wheelwell, then you'd have to redrill holes in the frame to mount the front shackle in the correct position. Seems like a pain. It would probably be much easier and less time consuming to order a set of Zero Rates from ORD when ordering the shackle flip, and plan on installing them offset to keep the axle on center.
What you say is true but if you look at his website, they are moved foward a bunch. The arc from moving the leaf down maybe 1/4 or 1/2 inch but not anymore. If you read ORD's listing for the flip kit, the one ton's have a shorter eye center than the 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks and they build a slightly different bracket to account for them. That could be the reason for the axle too far foward if it had one ton leafs on his 3/4 ton truck. Not saying that is the problem, not my truck, just an observation from what I have read and seen.

Mike
Old 04-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Why use zero-rates unless you want more lift than the shackle-flip?You could just drill a new locating-pin hole in the spring.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote