The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2006, 02:36 AM   #1
karl

door hinge fix.

does anyone know how to go about replacing the pins and bushings on the 77 door hinges? Is it difficult or worth it? How do i know if i have servicable door hinges? thanks.
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
tgh117
Crazy

Re: door hinge fix.

Basically the way to do it is to take a hammer and a punch and knock the old pins out. You then have to find the proper bushing to fit back in teh hinge and will have to use a new pin. You can get bushing and pin kits an pretty much any auto shop. It is a two person process for sure, and woudl probably be easier if you took the door off the truck first. I dont know the specifics of your vehicle, if it has power door locks, windows, speakers in teh door and wires would be running throught the door jam into the door, if that is the case, then you will have ot remove or disconnect that stuff so you will be able to move the door away from the hinge momentarily. We usually will place the door off to the side while fitting in the new bushings and getting the pins ready. It really isn't too hard of a project. Just takes a little bit of assistance from a hammer. Sometimes when my dad has a bushing that is stuck in teh hinge, you have to take a grinder and grind off the top and hammer it down through the upper hinge. If you pay attention how everything is oriented, its really pretty easy. You will also have to pop the S hook loose, that is the thign that keeps the door open when you wnat to remain there. Sometimes then snap, if that is the case, they sell new ones at autozone or any parts house. I haven't put bushings in my truck ever, but have done it in vans and all sorts of other vehicles.

Good luck with your project.