The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
jimmydean

Compressor mounting location?

So I am 90% decided to go air ride rather than lowering springs. I like the idea of lifting the truck for hauling while being able to lower it for ride and stance. Where do you mount the compressor? I am looking at the basic kit with a single tank and compressor. I know where to mount the tank, but where does the compressor go?

Also, I'm not looking to lay frame, but I would like it to sit around the 4/6 range. Can I do this with bags alone, or do I need drop spindles and lowering blocks as well? I'm guessing a c-notch is in order also. Thanks.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: Compressor mounting location?

Compressor location isn't really critical. You just want it to stay out of direct tire spray so you aren't soaking it in road grime every time it rains. There are lots of places to mount them on their sides inside the frame rail. Or, some people mount them outside the frame rail at the very back (this could get you some tire spray on a fleetside). On my last iteration, mine (2 compressors) hung upside down from 2 welded plates such that they straddled the driveshaft. I added a small PVC elbow to the intakes so that the air inlet was facing down to reduce the chance of picking up water.

Oh... most are pretty loud, so pick a place away from the cab, and mount them with some rubber (most have rubber feet already).
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
jimmydean

Sweet deal, thanks a lot. I guess all the ones I have seen have been cars with it mounted in the trunk. I didn't want it in the bed, so i wasn't sure if I could put it along the frame rail or not.

I will wait until I have my gas tank installed, then look for compressor/air tank loctions. I have a long bed, so there is plenty of rail there to mount stuff.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
jimmydean

I went through some older articles and saw the compressor on "Project: Old School" on Classic Trucks website. The mounted the compressor on the right before the rear tire and the air tank on the left, both outboard the frame rail.

Not sure if I will mount it inside or outside the rail. Is ther an advantage/disadvantage to inside vs. outside the frame rails? looked like there was room, maybe wire and hose routing?
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

I though about mounting mine under the hood in the engine bay. Just a thought.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zumo
I though about mounting mine under the hood in the engine bay. Just a thought.
I mounted my first one there 6-7 years ago. It died rather unexpectedly after about 6 months ... I did an autopsy on it and found corrosion on the top of the piston and on the cylinder walls. It was mounted on the inside of the core support, driver's side, right where a GMC would have the second set of headlights. Inlet was facing down. Who knows... and I've since shaved just about everything imaginable from under the hood...
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
jimmydean

Here is what I was talking about. My truck is loosly modeled after this sweet truck anyway, so it only makes sense to do something like this with the bad kit,

Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
jimmydean

And in case you've never seen it:

Project: Old School