The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
84slopwaggin

$3K Project Truck Side Walkin?

Can this be caused by anything other than a bent frame? I went to look at a truck today and when I inspected it driving down the road I saw it move a little towards the left. This is a project truck at $3K. The body has less dings in it than the truck I currently own. It also has a hiperformance 327 built with racing in mind(mean cam, 3in exhaust, victor jr. intake, holley700dp). Interior is slightly better meaning better dash(no cracks), better seat(no rips), but no privisions for headliner or carpet(torn vinyl floor mat). I'm more than positive it will sell this weekend if not anything other than a weekend drag truck. So, can I rest assure its a bent frame and not possibly left side brakes grabbing. I rode in it but I did not drive myself. Its only 5 minutes away so its no biggie to drive. Oh yeah it's a 84 gmc swb single gas tank beige exterior, beige/brown interior.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
pugs

Re: $3K Project Truck Side Walkin?

well since its so close i would take for a spin and get a feel of the truck and see if it is the brakes pull or not. and maybe have someone follow behind ya to watch the truck and see if it doggy walks at all
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
84slopwaggin

Yeah thats just it when I was leaving from looking at the truck I got a look at it myself from behind driving down the road, and I saw the rear walk a little toward the left. I wasn't behind it no more than a minute, but what I saw did give me some concerns. That's why I was wandering could anything else contribute to side walking. I'll just have to go back later or tomorrow and drive it to see how it feels for myself.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
pugs

Also did you take notice of how the box sat compared to the cab(was it levelw/ the back of the cab) i know some of the these early trucks had weak frames or overloaded at times does make the rear part of the frame tweak abit
Old 04-15-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
84slopwaggin

Yeah it set level. It's not bowed in or nothing. The truck sits the way its suppose to sit. No problem though I'm gonna pass on it, because I know I definitely saw it side or dog walk. That's enough for me to steer clear of. I work hard for my dollars in a dangerous environment, so I have no time for potential problems. I'll just save more and find one thats ready to roll with little to no repairs just upgrades.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
kevinr1970

The second K5 I bought had a 4" lift. It "crab walked" when I bought and once we unbolted the rear axle and then rebolted in to the springs everything was alright.
I guess axle "twist" is common with blocks? Sounds like yours is a 2wd (racing?) so maybe this doesn't apply but then again?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
tgh117
Crazy

It depends on the roads. Up here in PA some roads are slightly higher in the center then on the outer edge for drainage. I thought something was wrong with my truck when I followed it up the road and back end was hanging off towards the edge a little bit, till I thought about the road. We tried it on an older road that is flatter, and didn't have any issues with the back not tracking the front. Its just a thought.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Prerunner1982

could have also caught a rut in the road.. wouldnt hurt to take a 2nd look...
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
86 GMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970
The second K5 I bought had a 4" lift. It "crab walked" when I bought and once we unbolted the rear axle and then rebolted in to the springs everything was alright.
I guess axle "twist" is common with blocks? Sounds like yours is a 2wd (racing?) so maybe this doesn't apply but then again?

i thought the same way but an example from me would be its a truck set up to race prolly has a posi track rear end one tire grabbed before the other and it twisted the axle in line with the truck (where it attaches to the leaf springs)
Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
84slopwaggin

Nope the rearend hadn't been setup yet. Just under the hood. We were well on our way down the road when I noticed the rear shifting around.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
89 crew

My first guess at it is a sheared center bolt in the springs. Although since it went left that is a rare center bolt to snap. Most of the time people hook the right wheel on a curb. It is possible that the built 327 could have caused the problem.
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote