The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
Bowed

semi / full floaters

I picked up a 73 C20 camper special with the 14 bolt rear . It has the 8 center bolts for removing the axle caps . I cant remember the difference between the semi floaters and the full floaters . Did they put any FF on 3/4 ton camper specials ? Thanks.

Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: semi / full floaters

Yes, a 1973 ¾ ton would have a 10.5” ring gear diameter 14 bolt full floater. The much less desirable semi-floating 14 bolt 9.5” ring gear diameter axle didn’t come on scene until 1981.

Everybody has their own method of defining a FF vs SF. As I have always explained, the difference between a full floater and semi floater is how the weight is carried on the rear axle shafts. On a full-floater the weight is carried on the inboard and outboard bearings in the hub with the actual axle shaft floating on the bearings. On a semi floater, the weight is carried on the actual axle shaft that is only by a single axle bearing.

This sounds like an SAE test…..Technician A says…..Tech B says….

As all truck enthusiasts know…full floaters are the best in terms of strength if you are into hardcore off-roading, running large baloneys, or turning some major HP…..but certainly not the known for ease of servicing the rear brakes.

Full floaters are not the best axle for everybody and every purpose built truck. I wouldn’t want to run one in my 68 GMC 1500 cruiser cuz it would cramp the half ton running gear style but in the rear of my 78 Kquazi20 4x4 I defiantly want a HD axle to deal with the crap that I put it through and be able to live behind a 454 and 36” Superswampers.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote