The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #1
l8racer

Rear Axle Alignment Question

We installed the ECE 4/6 drop on our 65 SWB and when we center the rear axle in the frame it sits diagonal across the frame. In other words, the center to center from front spindle to back axle on the passenger side is 5/8" to 3/4" longer than on the driver side.

What do we do?? There is no adjustment in the stock trailing arms or rear end, they just bolt in.

The ECE kit comes with an adjustable panhard bar, should an adjustment here help? We adjusted the panhard to center the pinion in the frame and didn't see the problem until we had the truck back on the ground.

I've called ECE for help and they are researching it but I thought I would ask on here to see of someone might know.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited by l8racer; 04-24-2006 at 03:20 PM.
l8racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Rear Axle Alignment Question

When I lowered my 69 I centered the rear by measuring from the frame to the tires, adjusting the panhard bar. I then went for a 4 wheel alignment. He did the same check, said I had done well. Then he hooked up the machine to all 4 wheels and adjusted the front end to match.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Rear Axle Alignment Question

Unless you have narrowed your rear and made the axle pinion centered your pinion should no line up in the center of the frame and the pinion sits of center to the right. When you centered the pinion you pushed the rear over to far so it had to cock in the frame. Just think of it as a triangle and you push one corner to the left the back plain goes off parallel to the front axle. It is also not uncommon to have an axle tube bent 3/4" one way or the other.

Undo the pan hard, center the wheels to the frame, equal distance from the wheel or axle flange to the frame rail not the tire to frame rail and then connect the pan hard.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote