The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Shipping 5 times the price of the product?

I thought this auction was a bit odd. The buy it now is $14.86, which is a decent price, but shipping is $79.70! I know it is probably expensive to ship an item this large, but did they get something wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL...58009366QQrdZ1
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
extd56

Re: Shipping 5 times the price of the product?

He has lots of items for sale on Ebay with low prices and really high shipping, guess where he is making his money. It looks to me like he is trying to avoid paying Ebays high fees by offering a cheap item where he has a pay a listing fee and a final value fee if it sells but there are no fees on the shipping. See what he says if you contact him and tell him you will have a friend pick up the item to save on shipping. Just my .02
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
thecatseye66
'68 C-20 396 CST CC

That vendor doesn't use a lot of common sense, so it doesn't surprise me.

I e-mailed them once about the choice of titles they use because sometimes they don't even have the name of the part listed. On some items, you actually have to go into the description and read the whole thing in that overly-convoluted HTML trainwreck of a design they use and even then it is hard to find a real description that tells you what they are selling. Their reply to my e-mail said they leave it out sometimes because there just isn't enough room in the title. I'm thinking they could drop some of that jargon in the title and tell me what it is I'm suppose to be interested in...

Their pictures are sometimes way out of proportion too, so that makes it even harder to identify whether the item is an inner fender or a torque-converter cover!
thecatseye66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Be careful buying items like this on ebay. If you have to return it some ebayers will only refund you the $14.86 and keep all their back end profits from the inflated shipping.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Quote:
Local Pickup Not Available
Check his feedback. Even though he has a 98.7% rating, there are still a bunch of customers who griped about the shipping costs or learned he didn't have the parts in stock. Avoid him.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
Joe67
67 is sold

I agree his shipping prices are a bit high.

It is not uncommon to see large shipping prices for large items.
I tried to ship a 2000 GMC chrome grille shell in the GM box. Cheapest I could ship it for was just over $100.00 (DHL/UPS/FexEx/USPS). the overall size of the box was just over the 'standard' size and I was hit with shipping surcharges...

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56
He has lots of items for sale on Ebay with low prices and really high shipping, guess where he is making his money. It looks to me like he is trying to avoid paying Ebays high fees by offering a cheap item where he has a pay a listing fee and a final value fee if it sells but there are no fees on the shipping. See what he says if you contact him and tell him you will have a friend pick up the item to save on shipping. Just my .02

go look up "92 civic short shifter" and you'll find a list of about a half a dozen vendors selling a $4-8 part and "see description" in the shipping field. shipping is almost $20. you know where they're making their money...

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #8
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

Its becoming common place to offer low prices with inflated shipping. Its the last loophole Ebay hasnt been able to close. Im sure its a matter of time before they think of a way.
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
mbgmike

Thats exactly how they make money. Their is one company that their prices are so low we can't get them at that price if we buy 500. Sounds good till you check shipping. We never add anything on for shipping. We charge what the shipper charges One so called company here in Houston advertising on Ebay wouldn't even let us pick up the part. They said they HAVE to ship it to us. What kinda crap is that. He's making his money on shipping. He wanted $23.00 to ship 10miles for a 0ne pound part. We ship all over the country and $23.00 can ship one pound a pretty long way. When we asked why they wouldn't let us pick it up they would not reply. They sell alot on ebay. They are Crooks as far as we are concerned. Heck we deliver parts in the Houston area sometimes for free

Last edited by mbgmike; 04-25-2006 at 07:04 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boraxman
Its becoming common place to offer low prices with inflated shipping. Its the last loophole
Ebay hasnt been able to close. Im sure its a matter of time before they think of a way.

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncytruck
I thought this auction was a bit odd. The buy it now is $14.86, which is a decent price, but shipping is $79.70! I know it is probably expensive to ship an item this large, but did they get something wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL...58009366QQrdZ1
Yeah the buy it now price is way too low to make a profit. We are a TriPlus distributor and we can't get them at $15.00 each
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
corn

That does get old but still doesnt come close to the ones that dont say one word about shipping. That drives me nuts. If Im interested in buying the item I will email asking if it is free shipping because I didnt see anything in the auction. Ebay is OK, but you've got to read read read everything...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #13
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I'd never buy from the guy. It just screams scam to me.

Years ago, we got a letter from a Ford Dealership saying that if we came in we would get one of 3 prizes. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how it could be a scam. We ended up with a $1000 shopping spree on a online shopping site. The deal was you had to spend all the money at once and the prize money didn't cover shipping. It turned out that shipping was about twice the value of any product. We looked at a couple things that we wouldn't mind having. Our total for the spree was less than $200. Shipping was over $500. I didn't proceed with the order and tossed out the certificate.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike
Heck we deliver parts in the Houston area sometimes for free
We need more guys like you. These guys are scum..All people want is a straight deal, best buy for your buck ..not games. I'm sick of smelling rancid trash like this.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
ed455
Captain Ed

I wouldn't pay it. It's a ripoff and ebay does have rules against what he's doing. Worst thing that could happen is you get a neg feedback. You'll leave him one too. You would be able to announce his shipping scam in your feedback. He DEFINITELY does not want anyone to notice THAT. I would also report him to ebay. I'm sure he's been reported before. I had the same thing happen to me with a vendor. I reported it and the guy ended up banned after others reported the same guy.

The guy you're dealing with had 907 negatives in the last 12 months.

1999 C3500 LS 7.4L

Last edited by ed455; 04-25-2006 at 11:11 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #16
ed455
Captain Ed

Looky here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...umventing.html

He's breaking the rules.

1999 C3500 LS 7.4L

Last edited by ed455; 04-25-2006 at 11:24 PM.
ed455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:08 AM   #17
GMCPaul

The $79.90 shipping he's charging is basicly the price of the part, the $14.86 buy it now is the shipping cost, my reasoning on this comes from the fact we sell them here
http://www.gmcpauls.com/SALE_SPECIALS.htm
for $80ea, and ship anywhere in lower 48 in USA for $17.50
He's definately breaking ebay rules.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #18
BigMike

Uh Oh, I was hoping nobody would post something about the shipping costs some sellers charge on Ebay...

Go into electronics, or better yet...DIGITAL CAMERAS. I finally got my Sony online from a vender outside of Ebay. Ridiculous! Memory the size (and nearly weight or a postage stamp) $19.99 BIN with $25 shipping. Funny thing, Ebay actually has a policy that clearly states no over inflated shipping allowed.

I'm sorry but they need to stamp these POS sellers off of the site. It is nothing but hurting Ebay as well as the buyers. Ebay is losing $$$ for listing fee's and final value fee's and is putting the screws to the buyer if he needs to get a refund like a few of you have already stated above.

I love Ebay myself (I know, keep it to yourselves please). I paint and sell custom RC car/truck bodies and do okay. I have 613 feedback at 100% and am proud of that. I charge about $1.00 over actual shipping to help offset the new boxes, labels and tape that all my bodies ship in. I am temporarily disabled (fighting workers comp...what a treat) and without any income I have to rely on what I can get off of Ebay and am grateful for that option. This kind of conducting business hurts everyone involved with Ebay, buyers and honest sellers alike.

Sorry to rant...I have reported countless sellers that are just silly with their shipping costs, there is no policing of the rules

Sorry to carry on guys, it's just sad.

Peace,

Mike

P.S.
Quote:
thecatseye66 - I e-mailed them once about the choice of titles they use because sometimes they don't even have the name of the part listed. On some items, you actually have to go into the description and read the whole thing in that overly-convoluted HTML trainwreck of a design they use and even then it is hard to find a real description that tells you what they are selling.
THAT seller is an idiot, I see his items all the time. I finally customized my view to show the companies name so now I can pass over it without being the curious cat to only find out it is a fender bolt, not a Fender as the title implies.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #19
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed455
The guy you're dealing with had 907 negatives in the last 12 months.
He also has another 1800 nuetrals in the last year. Most of those will be folks who are unhappy, but don't want to get a negative themselves.

Stay away from these scammers. There are lots of quality sellers on Ebay to buy from. And for repop parts, we have some great vendors right here. My .02
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!

Last edited by al's71gmc; 04-26-2006 at 02:06 AM.
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 AM   #20
BigMike

Well said

Peace,

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:40 AM   #21
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike
Thats exactly how they make money. Their is one company that their prices are so low we can't get them at that price if we buy 500. Sounds good till you check shipping. We never add anything on for shipping. We charge what the shipper charges One so called company here in Houston advertising on Ebay wouldn't even let us pick up the part. They said they HAVE to ship it to us. What kinda crap is that. He's making his money on shipping. He wanted $23.00 to ship 10miles for a 0ne pound part. We ship all over the country and $23.00 can ship one pound a pretty long way. When we asked why they wouldn't let us pick it up they would not reply. They sell alot on ebay. They are Crooks as far as we are concerned. Heck we deliver parts in the Houston area sometimes for free
THis is pretty much the same thing that happened to my son and I. He works as a video editor in Los Angeles and needed a couple 19" flat screens. He knows how to edit, but he does not like buying hardware. That is my job. So...I found a couple of flat screens on ebay about 30 miles from him. They wanted $50 each to ship. I emailed them about picking them up and they said no. I went to NewEgg and bought a couple of nicer ones for the same price and shipping was free.

Mike
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote