The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
benoit454
Chris

Trans. swap on a k10

Well the motor in our 86 k10 is knocking, and going to get torn down, rebuilt or replaced if we can find something to replace it with cheap. But I was wondering while doing this, I might be able to change transmissions.

Why you ask? it's a 700 r4 and doesn't work right. The TCC was unplugged since we had it, and with it plugged in it slips and runs terrible. The tv cable doesn't adjust right either. Where it's at, the transmission shifts normally at the right speeds, but TCC is unhooked, and the thing slips into 2nd, no power, and no passing gear, you can floor it and it'll never downshift. One click tighter on the adjustment, and she has lots of power, still doesn't have a passing gear, and it's like 1st hangs in for awhile, then shifts into 2nd, or it like stays in 1st like a stick shift in the parking lot, rpms go up, let off, lugs down like a standard. it's weird. I'm afraid to plug the TCC back in AGAIN, because for one, tried it once, made it slip worse and work liek crap, by slip I mean from 1st to 2nd, and 2 I know if I plug it in the tv cable is going to need adjustment, and I don't think the old motor can handle driving and adjusting like before. it won't adjust like it should, I've cleaned it, oiled it, but you slide back, I have to slide the cable through the big housing with the button on it, the big housing w/ button won't slide, and when you mash it down it doesn't click back I don't think. if so it's way too tight.

SOOOO.....

What transmission can be swapped in place of the 700r4?
I'm looking at what I can seperate the transfer case and tranny, and bolt the transfer case to. Will a th 350 work in it's place? or how about a th400?

I need to reuse stock driveshafts, and Can't change crossmembers so will anything bolt up to the 700r4 transfer case? other then a 700 r4?

Any help or advice is really appreciated. I just wonder what I might can put in it's place. I really can't afford a new trans. or have this rebuilt, but got a guy who owes me with alot of parts, might hook me up with a different transmission.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
benoit454
Chris

Re: Trans. swap on a k10

Anyone? The motor is torn apart ready to come out. if anyone knows what I can put in place of the 700 r4 and use the original transfer case please let me know asap.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote