The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
PKelly

Starting engine 1st time in 5 years

OK, So I've taken your feedback on my dad's 68 Longbed C20 to heart and have decided to restore it. I suspect it's going to be a long, long term project. The first step is to get it started. It hasn't been started for 5 years...ever since my dad parked it at the family farm.

Is there anything special to do or just hook up a fresh battery and crank? Would you suggest changing the fluids first? I suspect that might be wise.

I plan to keep the 396 that's in it so I certainly want to "protect" it as much as possible when trying to get it started.

Last edited by PKelly; 04-26-2006 at 07:55 PM.
PKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: Starting engine 1st time in 5 years

May wanna pull the spark plugs and pour some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder a few days before trying it. New oil and I would pull the dizzy and prime the oil pump with a drill (may want to pull the valve covers to make sure you get flow). Flush the coolant (just a water hose to for now). That's all I can think of at the moment.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
71chevytruckguy

that and some fresh gas and a new set of points. alos might want to check to to see if soemthing made a nest in the carb or intake. good luck. chris.

71 c-10 lwb, in the middle of frame off restoration.

69 c-10 swb, drag truck, 406 sbc, balanced, comp 292 cam, ported, polished, gasket matched, and bowl blended pro comp 210cc heads, 2.02/1.60 ferrea valves,1.6 roller rockers, re curved hei with msd 6al box, 2-step rev limter, accel 300+ wires, ported victor jr intake, holley 750 double pumper carb, dynomax 1 5/8 headers, 4 spd munci m-20 with super case and iron midplate, mr. gasket vertigate shifter, 5.38 pro gears with full spool, 33 spline moser axles and c-clip elimators, line-loc, 5 gal fuel cell, holley blue pump.
7.807 @ 88.37mph 1.60 60FT

80 g-20 van, tow rig, cammed 305, th350, 10 bolt

88 jeep wrangler, dd, 258, ax-15 swap, 4.5" lift, 33x12.50's, lockers, 3.55's
71chevytruckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #4
jku72

I start up old engines from time to time, and agree that a little marvel mystery in the cylinders is a good idea. New oil is a must. I have never primed the oil pump, and haven't had damage, but it seems a good idea.
I do two things at once, that is turn the engine over with the starter, with the plugs out, and do a compression test. That usually circulates oil, and can tell you if any valves are stuck open. It should be fine, 5 years isn't so bad.
Five years isn't that long of a set, but if it has points, you'll have to replace them. Why not just HEI the thing?
Also a complete set of spark plugs and definitely wires will make life a lot easier.
Mice and other critters love your exhaust system, and air intake. Better have a look on the intake. Anything in the exhaust will burn up, or blow out when it does fire.
Keep in mind that any vehicle that has set for a while will billow clouds of smoke when started, so dont necessarily be alarmed, and monitor oil pressure. The smoke should clear in 10 to 15 minutes.
You should again change the oil after it runs for a short time, to eliminate the junk. At a minimum, the filter needs to be changed frequently in the beginning.
The fuel system will be a gacked up, and the fuel filter will likely clog a few times, and the carb will be dirty, but in my experience, it improves over time. Add an inline filter before the fuel pump. Use a clear one, and watch it. It will likely need to be changed a few times. I now keep a case of them in my garage for all my crusty old heaps, and change them often.
The fuel pump diaphragm will also likely fail too. A new fuel pump ought to be planned for.
Also, seals will likely be dry, so the engine will likely drip a lot of oil, but that is unavoidable.
If it has power steering it will most likely be dry, just top it off, or it'll buzz like crazy.
I last started a 40 chevy straight 6 that sat for 37 years, it runs fine. I never spun the oil pump, except on the starter, without the plugs, as I mentioned.
Next week, I'll try a 1955 t-bird that hasn't started since 1972.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
cdowns

i'd just oil the cylinders spin it with out plugs a minute then install the plugs prime the carb and try it out and see what happens
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Cylinder walls are the most critical, if a valve was left open then moisture may have found its way in to form rust.Plus over time the wall become dry and cause scoring if not lubricated first.So I agree with what the others have said its up to you to what extreme you want to go to prevent damage from a very (cold) start up.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
ChevyTough

Huh. I've always just put in a new battery, fresh gas, and checked the air cleaner. Then hopped in and fired it up. They usually turn over several times before starting anyway. Never had a problem yet and I've done this many, many times.

Now the 350 in my '72 I just got had to have the whole top end taken off because some idiot stole a valve cover and it sat open for several years.
72 Chevy C10 longbed - parts (good box and A/C cab)
70 Chevy C10 longbed - parts (decent box)
66 El Camino 327/Powerglide (extreme rust)
61 Bel Air, no drivetrain, sittin' in the pasture
71 F250, 72 F150, 70 F100 - parts

Last edited by ChevyTough; 04-27-2006 at 11:10 AM.
ChevyTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
PKelly

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind putting as much effort into it before cranking it if it means less damage/work later. As I see it, new plugs, points, wires, etc. will be needed at some point anyway.

As I recall, it ran fine before my dad parked it. He parked it because he didn't do much hauling/work with it since he was "getting older". Now at 65, I'm not sure he does anything with his current truck but drives it to the grocery and Moose Lodge.
PKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
jku72

Looks like the "just fire it up" responses are from dry parts of the country, and the "oil it" responses are from the wet parts. Ohio is sort of in the middle. You can decide what you need to do.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Can't hurt to throw some oil in the cylinders and let it sit for a couple days. I took this approach on the motor in my 70 K5 - it had sat for about 7 years or so. I then cranked the motor over with the plugs out and she spun freely.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote