The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
aclays

So much for the rebuilt..

So I've got a '91 Chevy Suburban, it's 4wd, 2500, 3/4 ton, and has a dead transmission. AAMCO Quoted me 2 grand to get it fixed. Does that sound accurate or are they trying to take advantage of my age and lack of knowledge? Could I buy a rebuilt for less?

When I spoke with them, they said the fluid smelled burned, and that they thought something was broken on the inside.

Thanks!

Last edited by aclays; 04-28-2006 at 01:33 PM.
aclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

Re: How about a rebuilt tranny?

I had the 700r4 transmission in my 1987 suburban rebuilt for 450 bucks, which included new torque converter. Everything inside the shell is brand new. I also had the transfer case gone through and had all the bearings and seals replaced for 270 bucks. Check around and see if you can find someone in your town that does transmission repairs. Usually a self-owned transmission shop will be way less expensive, but they might not have good quality. I would check around before paying 2,000.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
aclays

Ok, so I've tried a lot of different transmission places, everybody is quoting the $2000 figure. It's just not worth that to us. So whats the fastest way I can get rid of it? My uncle said I should just junk it. Think anybody would buy this thing for more than a junkyard would?

What about letting a school have it to work on, or something else? Any other options?

Last edited by aclays; 04-28-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

I think you can find someone to build it for much less than $2,000. Or maybe try a salvage yard for a used one. Maybe someone who is parting out a wrecked one. On the other hand it may not cost the whole $2,000 to fix yours. They won't know until they open it up. Mine recently failed. Quit pulling all together. Turned out it was a bearing failed and only cost me $325. You could be that fortunate.
Have you checked out Bowtie Overdrives.com? Some good info at their site and I'm sure there have got to be other sites to check out.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
aggiedave98

or you could rebuild it yourself... i did my first rebuild 3 years ago and it's still going strong!!
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
aclays

I've thought about doing that actually Here's my situation tho, let me know if you think I could do it. I live in an apt, no garage or access to one. I could borrow standard tools from friends no problem. I've got very little experience with cars, but I've got one of those fix-it yourself manuals and am good at following instruction manuals. I expect this tranny will weigh 150 pounds or so though? It's not something I can just lock up at night, unless I just throw it in the back of the burb. Is this a doable project for me? I've got time, and the insurance and everything is already paid ahead for the next 6 months, so i can't lose much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog
They won't know until they open it up. Mine recently failed. Quit pulling all together. Turned out it was a bearing failed and only cost me $325.
I took it to AAMCO and had them check it out, they said the fluid smelled burned (it didn't smell burned to me, and it was the normal color, but who knows..). They said it was slipping on all the gears, and there was zero power to go in reverse. They wanted to do a total rebuild on it. Said they'd probably have to replace some parts.

Last edited by aclays; 04-28-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
aggiedave98

well, first off, if you can't drive it, then cancel the insurance... at least in Texas, it's refundable even if you already paid it... you can switch insurance companies even at any time.

no about the rebuild...

Hmmm.... if you've got very little experience, this may not be the best starting point... but, I had never rebuilt an engine or anything really major on a car when I did mine... The good thing is that if you have the time, it's only about $140 bucks or so to do it yourself... even if you mess it up, that's not a ton of $$ lost. Your call. There is always that possibility that you do the rebuild and it doesn't work...

here's a post I made a while back that should give you most of the info to look into...:

Re: best way to rebuild a tranny?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boss,

Agree with you!! Don't let somebody talk you out of it!!

My tranny went out 2.5 years ago and I had no clue about rebuilding a tranny... I didn't even know how one worked. I had never rebuilt an engine even. I am handy and use my burb to learn how to work on cars, so I'm not saying I'm a dummy w/ cars, but just hadn't done a ton.

I bought a few books and a video. My dad and I took 2 weekends and rebuilt my 700r4. We put the VCR in the garage w/ a ziplock over the remote. We hit play, rewind, play, then did that step. And, best of all, it's 2.5 years later and it works!!

I even put in some upgrades for towing to increase the pressure and included the corvette servo.

Here's what you need (this was for a 700r4, but it should be very similar) That was the hardest part... knowing what you had to have and what you could get by without.

clutch spring compressors
input shaft seal installer
lip seal tool
petroleum jelly (for the seals)
bushing driver
snap ring pliers

I rented tools from: info@kdsperformance.com 817.385.0969

this place also rents:
http://www.technicalvideos.com/tools/index.phtml

I bought the video fro my 700r4:

http://www.technicalvideos.com/video...smission.phtml

and then ATSG manual and a Haynes GM tranny manual.

That was all I needed!!

Let me know if you need more info. I'd be happy to help!!

I bought the: super deluxe rebuild kit from kds.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
aggiedave98

i meant "now about the rebuild" not "no about the rebuild" btw
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
aclays

Ok, so something like this:

http://performance.drivewire.com/tra...ebuildkit.html

and then a video on how to repair it, and then renting the proper tools, and you don't think anything would stand in my way? I know it's the transmission having problems, but is there anything else that could be having an effect here? Somebody said something about a torque converter.. is that part of the transmission?

My uncle just told me that if i want to attempt to fix this thing, that he'll sign it over to me and let me have at it. So I think I want to do it now. In any case, if i manage to fix it I could easily get a couple thousand for selling it Which would be perfect seeing since I'm saving for a down payment on a vehicle right now

EDIT: oh and about those videos.. how do i tell which is the one the suburban is using?

Last edited by aclays; 04-28-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
aggiedave98

nope, that's about it. I thought when I bought the kit it was cheaper...

well, what is it doing?? yes, you will also need a new torque converter... those are probably about $90 if I remember.

you have a 700r4...

GM 700R4
(1982-1992) Transmission DVD $29.95

i'd be mroe than happy to give you any more info you need...
Old 06-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
extd56

The transmission that you have is not a 700R4 trans, Chevy did not use them in the 2500 series trucks and Suburbans. 1991 was the first year for the 4L80E trans and they are expensive to build but very strong. I believe the rebuild kit by itself is about 800.00 so it is not a cheap trans at all. I have a trannny shop that I use here in town and they get about 1500 to 1800 for the rebuilt 4L80E trans so I don't think your quote is too far out of line. Good luck finding a good used one in the wrecking yard, I looked for one here.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote