The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
grizz

Question ac-vs- heater

bought another 1972 4 wheel drive to help out on the farm going in and out of the fields. this truck had ac in it but everything under dash is either broke or missing. come winter it gets pretty cold here and would like to know what i could do to get a quick fix. would a non-ac dash unit bolt in place of the ac mess i got under the dash. i like this truck so much i might use it as a daily driver,but i need the defrost to work also please help.thank you. no farms no food. tom
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
mrein3

Re: ac-vs- heater

The two do NOT interchange easily.

I do not understand your problem however. The AC system still has a heater. Now a working AC system will defrost much quicker but you can still kick out the heat from what you have in place.

I did the non-AC to AC conversion over two years ago. The change takes some cutting and welding of the firewall.

However I still haven't charged my AC system so I basically have what you have. That is a non funcitoning AC setup. I get plenty of heat out of that system. With the defroster properly hooked up it has kept my windows clear for two winters.

Make sure the factory ducts are hooked up and not ripped apart. I replaced the fabric/spring duct hoses with replacements from one of the many suppliers. If your heater core is putting out heat and the ducts are all connected, you should be able to get buy just fine with what you got.

So I guess the quick fix would be:
1. Make sure your heater core is hooked up and not plugged or leaking.
2. Make sure the heater control valve isn't blocking hot water to the heater core.
3. Make sure your ducts are hooked up and not leaking.
4. Make sure your fan still works in high-speed.

I did all the above. After the truck comes up to temperature it is too hot in there with the heat on full blast.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote