The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
qksilver

Advice needed on engine frame brackets

What a PITA, have done many 4X4 cross member swaps, no problem. Done a couple of 73-80 into 64-72 trucks. Of course for other people. I just finished swapping a 87 cross member into my 67/69/71. I thought I was being slick and did it with the complete front suspension, sway bar, steering linkage, wheels etc. I was trying to be even slicker and used a 76 cross member for mock up purposes, to see how much I had to slot 2 holes and where I had to drill the 2 others
87 cross members and motor mounts are different! Had to do some drilling and slotting once I had the 87 mostly bolted to the 69 frame. No big deal just more time, then I was trying to mount up the 87 engine mounts, no where near close. When bolted to the cross member they stood almost an inch higher then the frame rails! Then measured the height of the 87 frame rails and inch higher, when did Chevy change the frames?

I have never used a newer than 80 cross member to do a swap.

After all the time and work, will never do another swap again, I will just swap the suspension.

Now a question, after the rant. I tried 68 style motor mounts, both big and small block, tried 72 big and small block. When I lined up the holes on the top frame rail the one bolt hole on the bottom part of the bracket was half way off the cross member. None of the holes on the bottom/cross member came close. I have tried every combo of brackets I have, I have none from 73-80 though, even some 4X4 brackets.

What do I use for engine mounts? I am putting a 383 in it until I finish gathering parts to do my 502. I thought if I used the later model cross member and the brackets I would be able to run a small and big block on the same brackets and mounted in the same place.

Nothing is ever as easy as it seems.

Plus can I use the factory automatic trans cross member with a 200 R? I know I will have to move it back but depending on the answer with the engine brackets will the small/big block/ transmission assembly fit right? Meaning the angle (4%?) tilt back?

I will get into the swap of the 87 booster/cylinder/front and rear brake lines/proportioning valve on another thread it actually went well, I like the look of the aluminum master cylinder.

Last edited by qksilver; 05-03-2006 at 06:21 PM. Reason: more detail
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: Advice needed on a cross member swap!

Ttt
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
wibilly

are you saying the 73 -80 is a better choice for a swap than a 81-87? i was planing on swaping the front crossmember from my 87 burb to my 67 short fleet
Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
qksilver

Yes, I had always heard but never did the 81-up cross member........on the 87 1/2 LWB I stripped the cross member will bolt in, after slotting the bottom front side, if that makes sense, holes in the frame. For the bolts that go from the inside of the frame to the threads that are welded to the cross member. Then drill holes in the frame to match the front upper holes in the cross member.
The 87 truck engine brackes are to tall, the 87 frame is about an inch taller.
I was hoping some one knew the answer to what I can use as engine brackets.
I think the answer is measure how tall the frame rails are and use the engine brackets for one that is the same height as the 67-72.
I hate going to junk yards around here this time of year...........snakes, mud and bugs. So I wanted to know what to look for rather than just searching around untill I found something that would fit.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #5
qksilver

I would just swap suspensons on a 2wd rather than the suspension and cross member
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
72armyswbtruck

TTT, mighty fine questions...
Old 05-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
qksilver

Ttt
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
qksilver

Ttt