The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2002, 11:56 AM   #1
jones

duracool is in!

the air blows cold - sort of.

I got the duracool the other day and pulled 20 inches of vacuum on the system. added 3 cans of duracool and test drove it. vent temps are between 45 - 60 degrees which isn't all that bad considering the outside temp is 100+.
it's better than nothing for sure.
but I think I should be getting lower vent temps than that. my jeep cools to around 37 degrees.

perhaps - despite my best efforts - I have air leaks under the dash. the heater controls and the glove box are very cold, and almost no air flows from the center vent. does that sound like air leaks? I thought I'd fixed them all with duct tape and made sure the hoses were all on tight. what a PITA. there must be an easier way. If I buy a new hose kit will they be more flexible? will they stay on the connections better? what have you all done to fix this?
jones
Old 07-30-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Kind of sounds like your duct work is plugged somewhere. Have you taken the box apart on the engine side of the firewall to see if it is plugged up? Maybe a mouse nest somewhere in the ducting. As to the temp of the air that you do get, maybe the water shut-off valve isn't working properly. Just a thought. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:09 PM   #3
jones

thanks,
ya I've had the box and hoses off & out. didn't find any obstructions. just loose fittings and rotten hoses.
the heater valve is new but I'll go feel the hoses and check if it's working.
jones
Old 07-30-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Sounds Cool. Imagine what it would be like if it was pulled down to 30 inches for a half an hour.
What is this stuff compatable with, R12 or 134A?

Denny
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:39 PM   #5
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

The repro hose are way more flexible than the original. The new ones are basically plastic sheeting with a spiral wire inside. The originals are wound and tend to come unwound with age. Before you tear it all apart again, I'd get new hoses. No sense going to all that trouble twice. If there isn't much air coming out of the center vent but your glove box is cold, then you have a leak somewhere. Is there cold air coming out of the floor heater register? If so, mayber your flapper door in the diverter box is not working.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 03:36 PM   #6
jones

Quote:
Sounds Cool. Imagine what it would be like if it was pulled down to 30 inches for a half an hour. What is this stuff compatable with, R12 or 134A?
the guy @ duracool said I only needed to pull 10 inches because it's not adversely affected by moisture. since I pulled 20 inches I had to add one extra can ($5.50). they claim duracool is compatible with r12 & r134.

Quote:
Is there cold air coming out of the floor heater register? If so, mayber your flapper door in the diverter box is not working.
I'll get a set of repro duct hoses. flapper seems to be working but no flow from the floor or defroster. so I guess something is not working.

thanks
jones