The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
ian villeza

Spare tire and Jack Options

My Blazer has 32 inch tires and most compact jacks just will not reach the jack points, I've been lugging around a 2 ton hydraulic jack and It's taking up way to much space in the bed area. Anyone have any Ideas or solutions?
I also dislike the amount of space my 32 inch spare tire is taking up in my bed area, Swing out tire carrier would be my solution but getting a complete unit seems as easy as buying $50.00 original Tow hooks.
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: Spare tire and Jack Options

A swing out carrier would be the way to go if you like em, then you could
fab a couple of brackets for a high lift off-road jack to mount to the back
side of it, out of view, and solve all your storage issues at once, now try
to find one (A swing out OE spare tire carrier)
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 05-13-2006 at 07:01 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
SST149

Ian:
I had a similar problem with my 72 Blazer. I just ordered a trailer hitch spare tire carrier from Draw-Tite. It fits 2" receivers and costs about sixty bucks. I saw it mounted on another K5 and liked the look.

I didn't really want to drill in to the body to mount a factory swing-a-way mount, so I opted for this mount instead. I'll snap shot pics as soon as it comes in this week. I also have my speaker box, amp, capacitor, and CD player in the rear bed so putting a spare there was out of the question.

As for the jack problem, I am looking at using a sissor jack from a mid nineties suburban. I had one and recall that it lifted fairly far in the air. I'll simply weld on a curved piece of metal to cradle the frame rail or axle better.
SST149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
ian villeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST149
Ian:
I had a similar problem with my 72 Blazer. I just ordered a trailer hitch spare tire carrier from Draw-Tite. It fits 2" receivers and costs about sixty bucks. I saw it mounted on another K5 and liked the look.

I didn't really want to drill in to the body to mount a factory swing-a-way mount, so I opted for this mount instead. I'll snap shot pics as soon as it comes in this week. I also have my speaker box, amp, capacitor, and CD player in the rear bed so putting a spare there was out of the question.

As for the jack problem, I am looking at using a sissor jack from a mid nineties suburban. I had one and recall that it lifted fairly far in the air. I'll simply weld on a curved piece of metal to cradle the frame rail or axle better.

Thank you for the suggestions, I would love to see the spare tire pictures and a shot of the scissors jack when completed. I am tired of lugging around a 2 ton hydraulic jack and spare tire in the bed of my Blazer. I just wish I could mount my spare tire under my rig somewhere like a modern truck does, And have a place under there for a jack.
ian villeza is offline   Reply With Quote