The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

Lower Cups

I finally got around to put the bags on the front of my 72 2wd Blazer and the bottom cups dont fit down in the spring pockets on the lower a-arms. I got the Front cups and plates from Suicide Doors. It looks to me that the diameter on the cups is just a bit to big to fit. Measured it at just a hair over 5". The spring diameter is not quite 5" but the shape allows the spring to sit all the way down in the pocket. Anybody else have this problem.

Last edited by 72BLAZERDUDE; 05-16-2006 at 08:51 AM.
72BLAZERDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
7deuce
Sold! 2 days after finished

Re: Lower Cups

YES, I used the $5 flat lower plates form SSD and welded them in th lower a-arm. The cup they give you dosent let you lay out AT ALL. Spend the 10.00 youll be happy with that and it will put your Xmember 1" from the ground with spindles.
7deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Alvin
Never Done?

I had a set of cups & plates from both suicide doors and AirRide Technologies. I wound up using the plates from suicide doors and the cups from AirRide. I had a post that showed the difference in size between the two brands of cups. I'll search and dig that up...

and there it is: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...37#post1152337

Ethel has been sold.

Last edited by Alvin; 05-15-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #4
TravisH

I cut my SD cups down just enough so that the top plate would be flush with the surrounding a-arm
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

originally I discarded the lower cups, and bolted the bag to the bottom of the lca until I got my tubes. As long as the bag doesn't really rub anything that isnt rounded it will be fine. smooth the lower off.

Last edited by camaro__thunder; 05-15-2006 at 11:19 PM.
camaro__thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
72BLAZERDUDE

So does that mean that the cup doesn't really have to sit all the way down in the spring pocket. I wasn't concerned with height. That I can adjust. So the lower cup is just sort of wedged in the lower arm. If I do like Camaro Thunder says and bolt the bag to the lower arm am I going to be able to get any kind of ride height out of it. Even with a 2" lower cup and the upper plate bolted in I would think that the suspension will run out of travel with the bags aired out long before the bag is fully compressed.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
7deuce

Wrong, You need to 86 the lower cups and 1. weld a plate in the lower arm or 2. Get tube lowers. With the cup you WILL lose travel. Take the cup out and jack up the wheel and measure, then stick that 55gallon drum cup in and youll see the difference. If your goal is to be laid out, go this route. If your worried about the lower moving weld a few stiches in the lower cup and call it a day. Is all depends on your end goal. If you need any help, let me know. Ive waisted tons of money on sh1t that retards said would work and didnt. The only reason SSD sells you that cup is that it is a " bolt in kit" no welding required. DUDE just ditch the Fu#KiN cups, youll be happy with it.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

let me ask this then i have 2" drop lower a arms and i am going to bag it do you think i need lower cups with this set up my goal is to drop everything as low as possable let me know your thoughts thanks
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deuce
YES, I used the $5 flat lower plates form SSD and welded them in th lower a-arm. The cup they give you dosent let you lay out AT ALL. Spend the 10.00 youll be happy with that and it will put your Xmember 1" from the ground with spindles.
can you give us a link to the lower plates? i looked all over *****************'s site and all i saw were cups.

thanks in advance.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
can you give us a link to the lower plates? i looked all over *****************'s site and all i saw were cups.

thanks in advance.
I think he means these: *****************
[IMG]http://www.*****************/images/products/mid_Laser_Cut_Circle_Lower.jpg[/IMG]

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
7deuce

I had 2 1/2" drop spindles and the plates you see above welded in the stock lower arms and was about an inch from x-member hitting. And then I bought the air ride tech lowers which gave me ZERO more drop. Do you have aftermarket lowers now? Well you probably do if your asking about the cup. I would cut the "pipe" out of the ones you have now and weld the lower plates in. No matter what you still need spindles if your tryin to be 100% hammered. And dont forget the MONSTEROUS cross members that hang down. Youll need to deep six all that **** too lay out. Need any more help let me know.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #12
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

thank you for the pics ... i rest my case.

Last edited by Shane; 05-17-2006 at 11:14 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:24 AM   #14
gostranger
65 suburban vortec 5.3 bagged

yes i have drop spindles and 2" drop lowers assembled on my work bench i am going to order the bag mounts from jason (suisidedoors) i am just tring to make shure i have everything ready to go in and work i havent done the crossmember yet but that should be it right? thanks for the help!!
gostranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #15
7deuce

I the trailing arm X-member and the tranny X-member and that should have it framed out. Thats ALL.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #16
72BLAZERDUDE

Great pics Camaro Thunder. Answered most all my questions. Is the crossmember in that picture stock height or has it been notched ? If it is notched, how much ? I didn' know upper ball joint could go to that angle. I think I will try to flip my upper arms.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #17
7deuce

If you section the Xmember dont go more than 1 1/8 or youll be ditching the stock steering and running a rack$$$$$. I have ART lowers 2 1/2 in spindles, Zd the frame 2 3/4" and sectioned the Xmember 1 1/8 and ran 2x4 box in the frame rails and hacked the bottoms off the frame and I had to cut almost all the rocker to get it to lay frame not body. I hate that CRUNCH sound of the body.......lol And I dont think the IF truck has a notched Xmember, just look @ the size of the Z, looks to me like around 4 inches