The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
SaskC10

Help with tail lights

I took my dash apart to do some cleaning and odd work, and now my tail lights don't work??? My brake lights still work????

Easy fix or do i have to tear into the wiring under the truck??
SaskC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: Help with tail lights

tail lights come straight off the headlight switch and have a fuse at the fuse block...check the fuse first and then see of you pulled a wire loose might have shorted something when you turned the headlights on while pulling the knob out. The brake lights go through the turn signal switch so the arent part of the same circuit.

Last edited by Oldtruckfanatic; 05-20-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
f.monroe

Dash and tail lights are fused together. If you notice that the dash lights arent working , then the tail lights are out also . GM for ya . Check the fuses . Frank
Old 05-21-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
SaskC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.monroe
Dash and tail lights are fused together. If you notice that the dash lights arent working , then the tail lights are out also . GM for ya . Check the fuses . Frank

Thanks, that is exactly what has happened. I am on it today.
SaskC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
85 c-10

Gonna wake this one up cause Im having a similar problem. 85 SWB. Have headlights, and all front markers, but nothing in the rear. Headlights off, hit the brake pedal and I have very, very dim lights. I measured the voltage with the brake lights and the 1 big bulb that lights up has 2 wires going to it, and the ground. 1 hot wire was 3.22 volts, the other was 5.8. The only ground I could find was for the license plate light which doesn't come on either. Checked all fuses and they are all good. Turn signals work but are as dim as the brake lights. What do I check next? Im going for the headlight switch for now. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh Johnston
85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
85 c-10

Tried a new headlight switch today. Didn't help at all. Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
85 c-10

Alright, problem is fixed. After paying way to much attention to the items under the dash, I turned my attention to the rear harness. I was ready to buy a new turn-horn switch, but the time to install down the steering column directed me to other items first. Guess I should have tried this first, but I checked the voltage at the connecter by the rear bumper for each light. Turns, brakes, and running lights all tested good. So the problem must be in the harness. After pulling it off, stripping the loom, and tape, I started checking wires. I found when I grounded to the drivers side light pocket, I got nothing. When I grounded to my new frame ground, all was well. So I ran a new ground to the frame and everything worked properly. Once I put the harness back together, and put the bulbs back in, my drivers side brake, and turn would not work. Pulled the harness back out and found a corroded factory spade connection. Spliced a new wire in, and everything works great. I was very surprised at what symptoms a bad ground can create. Once again, keep it simple and you will usually win!!

Thanks to everyone,

Josh Johnston