The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Kantosensei

Steering colum question

I recently purchased a tilt column off of evil bay. After receiving it, it appears to be to be missing pieces and the inner shifter tubes' end that connects to transmission linkage is bent.

Question 1--Have I wasted my time and money on a column that I cant use?
or
Question 2--Can I use the splined tilt shaft and tilt steering wheel housing with the non tilt tube and inner shifter tube?

They appear to be the same length, size etc., but without removing the non tilt column I have no way of knowing the differences. As I live in Japan, I don't want to take it apart, as I can't just order a part and have it tomorrow and my Blazer is a daily driver. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Steering colum question

The tilt and non tilt parts will not interchange. Can you post a pic of damaged and missing parts? We might be able to help if we know what the problem is.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
Kantosensei

Now that you have me thinking, something I seldom do, are the columns different for different year models? I staightened the bent arm of the shifter tube and I dont think I am missing any parts because I had to pull off the end cap and something that might have been a bearing on the splined shaft with a puller (it was rusty and most likely had never been removed meaning there is no way parts could have been removed or missing). My original non tilt has a protruding piece in the middle of the arm off of the shifter tube that connects to the transmission linkage. In addition, there is another piece that connects to the actual column housing (outer tube) that rubs against this protruding piece. This tilt column does not have the protruding piece on the arm or the piece that it rubs against. It is straight and it connects directly to the transmision linkage with nothing in between. This makes me think that it is earlier than 1972????? Also, is that or was that a bearing on the splined shaft just above the splines just inside the end cap? If it ever stops raining over here long enough, I will pull my truck out of the parking garage and take some pictures if noone understands my explanation.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

The area where the linkage connects IS different between tilt and non-tilt column.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Kantosensei

Last question: is that or was that a bearing above the actual steering "splined" shaft and where can I order? I don't see it in the diagram of the LMC catalog. I had to use a long thin puller to get it off of the shaft as it was about 1/2 inch inside of the outer steering column tube. After getting my questions answered earlier today, I went and sandblasted and primed my parts. Tomorrow I will paint. I hope that someone can help me to figure out what this last piece is so I can reassemble and try to install. I did not think about taking pictures of the disassebly, but I sure will putting it back together as it is in about thirty or more pieces right now. I will try to do a thorough job explaining as I had Hades getting it apart too. I appreciate everyones help!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
john
member #16

Heres a pic that might help. If you want to PM me your email addy I have a PDF file with disassembly and assembly instructions.
Attached Images

Last edited by john; 05-23-2006 at 06:28 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #7
The Cheyenne Kid

All.

I have searched but could not find a discussion regarding the possibility of converting a'72 auto tilt column to a '72 standard tilt. I have the '72 auto tilt and a '72 standard non-tilt. Is it possible? According to the LMC parts list only the support is different.
Attached Images

The Cheyenne Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Kid, it can be done, several have done it. Yukon Jack is the only one I can think of off the top of my head tho. You can shave the shifter off, or do like I am and replace that part with a standard housing. Haven't been able to get the other pin out yet, so I am at a stopping point right now.

Sensei, is you column a real truck tilt, or a van tilt that is being converted? If its a van you might be able to get the bearing from a dealer.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
alnshan

while were on the subject of steering columns. I'm actually looking to purchase a tilt column. I looked at CPP's, flaming rivers, Ididit's and a couple others, but I have no idea if one's better than the other or which one is better for our blazers. recommendations???
alnshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #10
Kantosensei

Mine is an actual truck tilt. I got the diagram, but would like to know if the bottom bearing is a sealed bearing or not. The only part that was left, was the inner piece on the actual steering shaft, there were no bearings or outer race (if it was some type of sealed bearing). The idiot, (I'm sorry,very nice person) I bought it from, looked liked it had been stuck down in the dirt for the last twenty or so years. Regardless, I have blasted it, painted it white and am almost ready to reassemble. If it is a sealed bearing that goes on the actual shaft and fits inside the steeering tube, I might be able to buy one here in Japan. I cant tell from the diagram. If you have any ideas about it, please let me know.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I will try to get a part number and look it up online and see if it can be got. Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote