The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
Senor_paco

Rocker stud help.

Greetings everyone,

I was driving my truck one night "at speed", and alluva sudden at about 4500 rpms developed a "miss". started occasionally clacking under the passenger vavle cover. Turns out the rocker stud on my 350 heads decided to raise up a little. too much to tighten down, so I pulled it. The question I have is, if I freeze the bolt, use a jam nut on top not to damage the threads, and can I "press" it back into place by using mashing on the ratchet (by hand) to work it back down? Can I put a bit of blue loctite on the shank of the rod to help keep it from coming back up? I don't wanna pull the heads for screw in studs or anything rowdy. I just want it to run smooth. I drove my truck all of 5 miles last year. occasionally I like to start it up and cruise around the 'hood, setting off car alarms and making people nervous.

any insight guys? any comments appreciated.
Senor_paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Karl Hoh
A little east of nowhere

Re: Rocker stud help.

I would try using the shaft/bushing loctite, I think it's green. It's designed to take up a couple thousands of clearance when it sets. Put a little bit on the edge of the stud hole and some on the stud, tap the stud back in and let it setup. Unless you have alot of lift and high spring seat psi, this should work.
80 K10 350 4spd
76 C60 366 5spd school bus

"THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN BREAK THAT SOMEONE CAN'T BE PAID TO REPAIR"
Karl Hoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
pumpkin

I've had studs pull out, and break off back in my higher reving days. My fix was to just tap the hole for a replacement type screw in stud, and locktight it in. The ones I used did not have a hex on them, they are just a stud. If it pulled out once, it will do it again. The press fit is probably too loose, due to the hole in the head being very slightly to big.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
tcoop68
tcoop68

If you got a big cam and did"nt get the spring height checked it could be binding your springs and that will pull stock studs right out.The only way to do it right is screw in studs for sure.
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote