The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
shifty
Questionable

need help reinstalling battery box

long story short -

i removed my battery box because of rust. i took off my front clip to work on my LS1 install. while the front clip was off, it fell over but no real damage was done, thankfully. it might have tweaked a tad because when i put the front clip back into place (not bolted in), i went to install the new battery box (NOS) but the hole where it bolts to the inner fender WILL NOT line up for anything! i cannot get that damn thing to fit. but i didn't take off the core support, inner fenders or anything so i don't know why this isn't bolting right up!

can some of the pros around here tell me what to do?

i wanted to bolt it up while the front clip was still not yet mounted to the cab. once the battery box was in, i was gonna start getting the front end bolted on and put back together.

THANKS!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 05-26-2006 at 11:02 AM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: need help reinstalling battery box

When I put the new radiator support in my 69 the old battery box bolts didn't line up with the nutplates in the new support. Iirc, one hole was close, the other two were off. Had to drill new holes in the box.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
long story short -

i removed my battery box because of rust. i took off my front clip to work on my LS1 install. while the front clip was off, it fell over but no real damage was done, thankfully. it might have tweaked a tad because when i put the front clip back into place (not bolted in), i went to install the new battery box (NOS) but the hole where it bolts to the inner fender WILL NOT line up for anything! i cannot get that damn thing to fit. but i didn't take off the core support, inner fenders or anything so i don't know why this isn't bolting right up!

can some of the pros around here tell me what to do?

i wanted to bolt it up while the front clip was still not yet mounted to the cab. once the battery box was in, i was gonna start getting the front end bolted on and put back together.

THANKS!
WAS IT N.O.S. OR AFTERMARKET?? THATS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH AFTERMARKET STUFF THATS HAS TO LINE UP WITH HOLES, TABS OR BODY LINES. I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS PROBLEM WITH NOS OR OEM PARTS. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

It's OEM/NOS - has the part # stamped in it. The original one don't fit either - I had the same thought as you, might be aftermarket!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

With mine, I had to push and pull to get every bolt started, and then once thatwas done, slowly tighten each bolt a little bit at a time.

I used a repop from ECE...
Old 05-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I think the problem is me removing the front clip with no battery box in. i believe it was keeping the innerfender/outerfender and core support in place, and when i took it off, everything shifted.

neither old or new fit.

just curious if anyone else has had this same problem before.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

ttt