The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Air cleaner hose?

My truck doesn't have an air cleaner hose going from the air cleaner housing snorkel to the grille, but i can see where it goes. The previous owner had it taken off to run cooler lines through the hole.

right now the air cleaner lid is flipped and i think the vacuum activated thing in the snorkel doesn't work (it's closed and wont open). What kind of fuel mileage increase would i get if i flipped the lid around so it's on there correctly then somehow got that valve to open and ran the tube back to the grill and cut a section of it to let the cooler lines go through it? I was thinking of using something like 3" or 4" universal home ducting (for A/C or dryer venting) and using it, or should i just get a factory one from the junkyard?

right now, the hole is letting ambient air into the bay, and i'm sure it's cooling it down some, so should i drill another 2" or so diameter hole in the same general area to let the ambient air in? (i assume it also helps push the hot air out?)

magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
eagle23

Re: Air cleaner hose?

To me, it's one of those curious-but-low-cost projects to find out. Whether it will change much is TBD, but I suspect not much difference. We aren't talkin' highly sensitive machinery here

When I got my '77, it was similar to yours for the flipped filter lid (though it had the hose), since the PO really liked the sound of the air going into the carb when he floored it. Know you will likely lose some sound effects. It might drive slower for the quiet

I'm not smartin' off at ya, either. I restored mine to the enclosed air cleaner, but in truth I am not sure what true difference it makes other than visual and auditory esthetics. I didn't calculate the mleage before and after, though. It's still 13.xxx no matter what

I'm curious if others have had similar or different exeriences.

Brian
eagle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The fact that there is more free air flow with the cover flipped over, than with the air coming in through the snorkel tube, there will be some acceleration enhancement. Every person for their own thing. I tossed my factory air cleaners in the Farm junk storage ditch many years ago. I hoe that the world doesn't hate me for it, because I am happier with the new setup over the factory one.

As to answer the question, whether or not the flex tube connected to the rad support woould help in getting cooler air to the air cleaner, OF COURSE it will, but it is limited by the sze of the tube and the number of flex bends in it. Make the flex tubes bigger and add a second one, then you will accomplish somethng.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Replace the assembly with a later model type. Add the air bigger tube!! Remember you can cut out the extra light hole. Use this as a guide.
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/ram_air.htm
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #5
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

here's my story... daddy said the original tube on my truck broke several years ago, and he never got around to replacing it. the only thing he noticed was that in the summer the valves pinged under load in the summer heat. well i went and bought a new fresh air duct from the dealer the first summer i had the truck, and my valves quit pinging.

i think its a wise (and inexpensive) thing to keep on a truck. sure sucking in the hot air under the hood won't "hurt" anything but in the summer i'm sure it helps to have fresh air. And IIRC mine was like 12 bucks? of course i can't say definitively that's what made the valves stop pinging (i did switch to valvaline maxlife oil around that time) but i don't have any proof saying it ISN'T the reason the valves quit pinging under hot load.

On a different note... mine is the bigger tubed style... which i have never seen in any other truck. Here's a pic.

I'd say put a fresh air duct on it.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord

Last edited by cliffsta; 05-29-2006 at 09:05 PM.
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
magnethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle23
When I got my '77, it was similar to yours for the flipped filter lid (though it had the hose), since the PO really liked the sound of the air going into the carb when he floored it. Know you will likely lose some sound effects. It might drive slower for the quiet

I didn't calculate the mleage before and after, though. It's still 13.xxx no matter what

Brian
I can care less about heaqring the air goin in the engine. Just as long as I have some way to know what general RPM band my engine is in (no tach + no OD + 4.10's = ouch).

This is a 1 ton 454. I'm lucky to get 8 MPG local/10 highway on a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts
The fact that there is more free air flow with the cover flipped over, than with the air coming in through the snorkel tube, there will be some acceleration enhancement.

As to answer the question, whether or not the flex tube connected to the rad support woould help in getting cooler air to the air cleaner, OF COURSE it will, but it is limited by the sze of the tube and the number of flex bends in it. Make the flex tubes bigger and add a second one, then you will accomplish somethng.
acceleration? This truck doesn't have any that's measurable.

What's the cheapest way to put a second snorkel outlet on the air cleaner housing? And is 3" or 4" dryer/air conditioner aluminum tubing good enough for said use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsta
i think its a wise (and inexpensive) thing to keep on a truck. sure sucking in the hot air under the hood won't "hurt" anything but in the summer i'm sure it helps to have fresh air.

I'd say put a fresh air duct on it.
As far as I care, giving it fresh care is good for the motor anytime.

When the motor gets fresh/cooler air, it makes a denser A/F mixture with requires less fuel to make the same amount of power.

Now how can I get around that flapper (choke?) valve in the snorkel tube coming off the housing that's vacuum activated? Wether it's connected or not, it doesn't work.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
jimfulco

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnethead

What's the cheapest way to put a second snorkel outlet on the air cleaner housing? And is 3" or 4" dryer/air conditioner aluminum tubing good enough for said use?

Cheapest way is probably to rob another snorkel from a junker. Cut it from the housing, leaving about 3/8" of housing all the way around the snorkel. Drill 4 holes in the 3/8" "flange", and screw it to your good housing, then mark and cut a matching opening so the air can get through. Seal it with some silicone.

I think it's the 4" dryer tubing that fits the snorkel.

Last edited by jimfulco; 06-05-2006 at 02:53 AM.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
magnethead

hmm. Sounds like I may have a project in the works then if it's that easy. Also, is it normal to have the choke stick on for about 2-5 miles (depending on conditions) after putting the truck in gear. Also, what's a sure fire sign to tell if the TV cable needs to be adjusted (and if it needs adjustment, which i'm sure it does, which way should it be moved to get the transmission to shift a little early)?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #9
BigDan3131

Try www.ramairbox.com for complete or part for single or dual hose setups.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
magnethead

Thanks
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
magnethead

that place is too much bucks. says 210 bucks for my truck..I'll go to the junkyard and home depot thank you.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
BigDan3131

Thats fine if you like using junk from someone elses old ride. For anyone who has a nicer than stock ride or hi-performance their great. Besides you dont have to buy everything from them they even say so. If you already have an open element air cleaner just find the box that fits.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote