The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Am I Missing a Step?

I finally got some time to do a few little things to my truck. I'm excited to get my new dash bezel on and I reach up under the dash, find the light switch and the release button and push the release buttom in and when I try to pull out the light switch it wont come. I can actually feel the button on the switch as I'm tugging on it to get it out, but it wont come... This should be a 3 minute job but as what happens a lot of times when you think the job should be simple, its a saga.. Any help would be greatly appreciated as there is a local car show this coming weekend and I'd like to have the new dash bezel installed when I display the truck in the show.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
greasemonkey

Re: Am I Missing a Step?

Pull it out to park light position, then push button and pull. That's how mine comes out.
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
mbgmike

Yep but sometimes its fustrating
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Sometimes it takes some talking too, with explicit ADJECTIVES.

No, I seem to always forget to put it in the park light position first, then after discussing it with the switch (see above) it reminds me to go to park first, then press button and pull.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #5
TugOwar

Just had mine out the other day. Even pulling it out to the park position it still took some twisting, pulling, talking to. It comes out when IT decides to come out.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Chevrolet4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone
......... This should be a 3 minute job but as what happens a lot of times when you think the job should be simple, its a saga..............
1994 Hyundai Elantra timing belt(or head gasket).............you have to pull the engine to get to the plastic covers off over the belt to release the tensioner To make matters worse everything is backwards(even for a fwd) The master Cylinder and transmission are on the passanger side.............Imports
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TugOwar
Just had mine out the other day. Even pulling it out to the park position it still took some twisting, pulling, talking to. It comes out when IT decides to come out.
It's funny when your sitting around BS in and playing around with one and it will come out with ease. Put that thing in the dash and try an take that booger out a short time later. Your right IT decides to stay
Old 05-31-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Thanks all for your insights and replies. Greasemonkey your advice was right on ,I put the switch in the park light position ,reached up and pushed the button in and out she came out when I tugged on her.

Now for the rest of the story.. I'm happy now and I go get my phillips screwdriver and take out the 6 screws holding the old dash bezel and the plate at the steering column. Now I got the back part of the headlight switch and wiper switch still holding the bezel on. I play with it for a minute and figure out they are threaded on and then take them off.. Now my dash bezel is loose and when I give it a pull to take it off, I realize all my gauges are still attached to it and I will have to disconnect them to get the bezel off.. Here is another which I figured would be a 5 minute job has turned into a saga.

Now I have to rethink this cause I was thinking I might change the gauges to Dakota Digital or the analog ones from RBS Obsolete with the clock where the tach goes and the tach where the gas gauge is , I think they are made by Classic Instruments or just redo mine and add the vacumn gauge.. If I gotta take the whole dash out I might as well do it all at once. Decisions, Decisions !!!!

I will appreciate any comments on this !!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

There is not a lot to pulling out the dash bezel/gauges. Disconnect speedo, and Oil pressure line(if you have one). Put a cap on the line and have something on the floor or you will get oil drips. Pull out the wire harness plug and she should be free. As far as what to do, that would be up to you. I m an analog gauge man, so that is the way I would go. Number of options for you to do. Some in the FAQ, plus the one you mentioned. Here is mine, that someday will go in. I'll cut the reuglaur harness plug off and plice into it. This cluster has it own disconnect plug for future use.

It's not as hi tech as some, but I like it.

Factor speedo, gas gauge from a LaSabre, small gauges and clock from VDO, and I forgot what the tach is.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 05-31-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
mbgmike

jeeze
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Chevrolet4x4s

Tach is Autometer Sport Comp
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #12
dboyzalter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step
There is not a lot to pulling out the dash bezel/gauges. Disconnect speedo, and Oil pressure line(if you have one). Put a cap on the line and have something on the floor or you will get oil drips. Pull out the wire harness plug and she should be free. As far as what to do, that would be up to you. I m an analog gauge man, so that is the way I would go. Number of options for you to do. Some in the FAQ, plus the one you mentioned. Here is mine, that someday will go in. I'll cut the reuglaur harness plug off and plice into it. This cluster has it own disconnect plug for future use.

It's not as hi tech as some, but I like it.

Factor speedo, gas gauge from a LaSabre, small gauges and clock from VDO, and I forgot what the tach is.
10 K RPMS my acura does not evan go that high...

my honda will though

my chevy on the other hand

nice looking dash cluster... how hard was it to put that together?
dboyzalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

dboyzalter - I did not initially put the dash together. A former board member put it together for me, but it's not that hard. They have stuff about doing similar in the FAQ section of the board.

Yeah 10 grand is pushing it, but price was right on the tach. You should have seen their looks when they saw I only had a 6 popper at first

Bill's Gallery