The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
TugOwar

700r4 "butterfly" governor

Finally got my driveshaft shortened today. Stabbed it and gave the truck a try. Wouldn't shift from low, couldn't get it to shift no way no how. grrr

So I pulled the cover off the butterfly govenor thinger and pulled it out... the plastic gear is broke off even with the tiny wrist pin that holds it in.

I'll go to the trans shop tomorrow and get the plastic gear replaced, hopefully not too expensive.

But now I'm wondering what causes the gear to break off in the first place? Just age/mileage? And what happens to the rest of the gear that is in the trans, is it still there and I just have to pull it out or does it fall down or get chewed up somehow?

I feel like I'm sooo close to having the old girl on the road again, woohoo!

Any knowledge you guys have to offer is appreciated.

P.S. If it matters, this is a used trans I picked up for $75.00. Hoping this gear is all that is wrong with it.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #2
64fleetside

Re: 700r4 "butterfly" governor

it happened to mine about 3 yrs ago, I just replaced the gear & all is well,,brian
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
TugOwar

Went by trans shop today, he basically just traded governors with me. Came home and installed it...still won't shift out of low.

Only other thing I can think of is the tv cable. It's not like setting the cable on a vehicle that CAME with a 700r4 and has the factory bracket on the intake. I'm having to use an after market bracket that is adjustable. I know the process for setting the cable, but where the hell do I set this adjustable bracket up to start with??

And here is another question. A TV cable is a TV cable isn't it? Shouldn't matter what year/model it came from as long as the ends are correct, right?

I'm looking for suggestions here, anything else I can try or should just drop the trans and start over?
Old 06-02-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Bowtie67

You can check with Bowtie Overdrives for positioning with the detent cable. I have run a few different carbs/FI setups with my 700R4, as long as at full throttle has reached the end of the cable(for base purposes only). I have always have had a bit of a shift problem and have managed this winter to resolve the issue with purchasing a TV made easy Kit from Bowtie Overdrives Make sure the trans is full of ATF. If the trans is used I would highly recomend dropping the pan & replacing the filter and putting in some new fluid. Also recheck the Govnor to make sure it didnt get wiped out again. Gears & Govnors are critical. I used the Corvette Govnor and picked up a kit to get mine all situated, both of these I also picked up from B.T.O.

If you havent done a service on the trans yet and are going to get the kit from BTO they have a new spring that goes in the trans and that would be the time to do it.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
TugOwar

Bowtie67, thanks for the reply.

Before I installed the trans it got new front and rear seals and a new TV cable. As soon as I had in the truck I dropped the pan and changed the filter, cleaned the pan and magnet.

The only thing I saw "wrong" inside the trans was a wire that wasn't connected, I connected it to the only place it could go. But if I understand correctly, the only thing electrical in there has to do with the TC lock-up, nothing to do with shifting. I haven't wired up the lock-up yet. I don't figure there is any need to bother with it until I get it shifting right.

I'll go out now and check the governor again and try what you suggested about the detent cable (all the way out at WOT).

I'll get the kit from BTO if it becomes necessary. I'm hoping it won't though.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is a website that you may find interesting.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet
Here is a website that you may find interesting.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm
Great bit of info there, thanks.

According to that, I HAVE to have a carb adapter plate for the trans to work right. Guess the TV made easy kit is a must....
Old 06-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
Radman

go with the bow tie over drives set up. the tv cable and adjustment is the most important set up in the 700r4 trans. You will also need a set up to read the trans pressure. fitting is located on drivers side mid way up on trans hook up pressure gauge to find out the pressures you have. The bow tie web site explains it all.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Being this is a used trans you are installing and bought on the cheap I am concerned that it had problems, hence the $75 price. I know from my own experience that with these 700R4 trannys debri finds it's way into the valve body and throttle valve now and then. When it does it can act just like yours. Either not downshifting to 1st or not upshifting out of 1st or 2nd. Proper tv cable adjustment will not make a difference if it's debri in the valves. Sometimes a fluid and filter change will help clean it up but not always. Since the gov gear was broken inside bits and flakes of it may have made their way into the valves.
The last time my 700 went down it was a bad bearing causing a couple of burned clutches. That clutch debri got into the valve body and tvalve causing it to not shift out of 1st, sometimes, and not shifting into od, sometimes. After continued running it on jack stands going through the gears it finally filtered most of the debri out and for 3 months now it is shifting normal. I hope yours can be saved without a rebuild.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
quick71

Unhook the TV cable completely from the carb. if your tranny is capable of shifting, it will shift very quick with the cable unhooked. Did you check to see if the valve inside the governor was stuck? If it is stuck it will not shift. If it still wont shift, and you are wanting to try something cheap before having to go inside the tranny, pick a bottle of LubeGard in the red bottle. Pour it in and make sure your tranny is full of ATF. Go driving and give it hell and work the gearshift from 1st to OD and back and forth until it shifts.
quick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
TugOwar

Hey quick71 welcome to the best GM truck site on the web. Glad you joined.

Thanks for the tips, I'll give that a try soon. A friend of mine was saying to try something called Berrymans, ever hear of it?

Oh btw about the governor. I took it to the trans shop the next day to have the gear replaced, he had a used one there with a good gear on it. He soaked it and cleaned it up for me. The valve inside is not stuck.

Last edited by TugOwar; 06-11-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
quick71

As long as the Berrymans is NOT a seal conditioner. All the lubegard is a lubricant the helps with sticky valves
quick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #13
TugOwar

Gotya!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
Boog
laying low

So what's the word on the tranny fix?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #15
MrC1
Dork For Days

The TV cable should be pulling 100% at WOT as a matter of setting it up right.

You can disconnect the cable from the carb and work it back and forth (in and out). It should feel smooth and should return smoothly on its own. If so, I'd bet it's not sticking (you would probably feel it). Another way to do this would be to have one person sit in the cab moving from gear to gear while you work the cable. That way, you're running pressure to the piston at the same time.

I'm having a similar problem with a very late 1-2 shift. My next step is to pull the 2-4 servo and have a look. I'm told a leak in there could do the same thing.
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog
So what's the word on the tranny fix?
Well, there are couple of things mentioned above that I've yet to try. If that doesn't work then the trans comes out and I go dig up another one.

To be honest I need to find the motivation to get back out there and fool with some more. The 100+ degree temps aren't helping my motivation either. After working outside all day another couple hours in the heat just isn't very appealing.

I WILL get back at though, sooner or later. I'll keep y'all posted.

And thanks for all the feedback.