The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Front Traction Aid?

I have a locker for my rear just when I`m getting around to putting the EZ-Ride 6" spring acks & 35" Xterrains on.So,I`m thinking how much badder the truck will be,but so much better with two spinnin`up front.I`d like to get right on it.What would you guys recommend?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
pumpkin

Re: Front Traction Aid?

I am going detroit locker for the front, after trying a posi. With the posi the truck always wants to go straight, so I'm alwas fighting the steering whenever the hubs are locked. With a locker, since there is no preload, I'll only be fighting the steering when I need the tracktion, and when in twd with the hubs locked in it won't be noticed at all.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
1969 GMC

there are quite a few options out there. as far as selectables, you could get an ARB (air shift), OX (cable shift), Electrac (electric shift, posi when unlocked), or E-Locker (electric shift, open when unlocked). They are all pretty pricy.

As far as I know, the detroit is the only full-case replacement locker. It's strong, but close to the selectables in price.

cheapest are the lunchbox lockers like the lock-rite and the aussie locker.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Other than in rock crawling situations, there is really no benefit......and there are plenty of reasons not to put a locker in the front. First is in the steering, if you think the posi drove funny, the locker will be worse. You can depend upon the equal pull of a posi, but if you let off of the throttle during a turn, you never know what a locker will do. It may un-lock, what is that going to do to the steering? But the biggest reason is simply economics............If you have any kind of horsepower and even moderately larger tires.....you will break axles. Generally it will be the short (pass side) one.
I have broken the inner axle and I have had them break at the joint....big pain either way. This was on a '74 with a 454/4 speed and 40" Regul TrailBlazer tires, with a Torsen front differential. The lock-out hubs are a weak point at this time too.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Dana44/35" tires is the max.You can break axles w/o lockers and bigger tires.You can go through alot of mud with all 4 spinning,that`s what I want.I`m not lanning on driving on the road in 4wd.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #6
Americanrider

I would recommend that you test drive a truck equipped with a front locked before dropping a big wad in something you might not want later on. My Jeep Rubicon has e-lockers front & rear. It's great until you try a sharp turn and then it jumps around the turn and rips the wheel out of your hand. If you do it get something you can dis-engage fast.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

All you have to do is pop it into 2wd,right?I do this all the time to get the thing to steer better anyway or whip the rear around for a smaller radius turn.With all the traction I`ll have,I know it`ll effect handling characteristics with all locked-in.I guess I`ll say what I`m considering:TruTrac,LocRite,or some other limited slip.I know there`s the grab/no grab effect with them,but it`s more friendly than full-locked I think.Most people don`t like the limited-slip in front for it`s on-road effect.Which would be running on snow or ice.You start to break loose,it locks,and pulls you straight on a curve.I don`t plan on running in winter conditions(salt)in my`72 and we don`t have the high elevations back east where snow/ice is possible when not expected.Off-road in mud,the tendency to pull straight when turning is alot less due to greater rolling resistance and rutting.So,not an issue here.

Tim

Old 06-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #8
vtblazer

I battled with this same question and decided on a limited slip up front.
Been very happy with it, good surface street manners as well as great trail 'grip'.
My limited seems to be very tight and spins both under throttle most of the time but if I stuff/jamb up a tire I probably won't break quite as quickly.

My reasoning was that I wanted to 'get home' more than 'get up'.
Meaning a locker is great but someday you will bust an axle with em.

A locker in the rear is the important one and you've already got that covered.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
trailzen

I had a detroit in the front of my jeep with the 44 and it was OK but when I swtched to the 60 I went wth ARB in the front and rear and bsolutely love them,when they are off it drives like a perfectly normal truck but when they are on they lock solid and the truck will push a walof mud like a bulldozer.A little more pricey at first but well worth it
trailzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
shilo

Ive had two jeeps with locked fronts. One had a ez locker and the one now is fully welded. Its a pain sometimes, but all i do is get out and unlock a hub, then make my turn. if i need the traction, leave em locked and power thru it.
I have a front 60 getting narrowed right now that will get a lock right, and the 14 bolt is going to be welded.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Ok,is a Loc-Rite a locker or limited slip?Here`s the funny thing.I`m playing with these original axles for now.I got all new parts and rebuilt both of them from hub to hub,including all brakes:drums,rotors,calipers,even all 32 wheel studs,everything.Now,I`m setting up the rear with a factory locker and then something up front.I just want to run it this summer and know they`re right.Then,they`re coming out.Because what I really want is to put a set of CUCV axles(4.56/locker/tru-trac)under it and do a little old nameplate change from CustomDeluxe/20 to,heh heh,CustomDeluxe/30.The truck is unrestored,original paint with patina(blue & white),and I have the white 9.75x16.5 OEM-type wheels & hub caps that can go on once I buy some 35" Swampers for it.It also has the "400" badge since I have an all original looking small block 400 in there.I`m expecting to start a few conversations over it,like watch guys debate what`s factory,what was or wasn`t available,then step in and give the straight scoop,all in fun of course.But,on top of that,it will be an "as if built by factory" unpretentious looking old truck that can woop some butt.I still may do a twin-stick/doubler deal,too.I love these trucks.

Tim

Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K
I still may do a twin-stick/doubler deal,too.
I'd go triple stick. (seriously)

With the triple sticks, you can kick out the rear axle, turn your wheels in front to the direction you want to go, put light pressure on the brake pedal (to lock up the rear) and apply gas.
Your front tires will pull you pretty much sideways! (yes it works)
This has gotten me out of ALOT of tight spaces.
With these trucks everywhere is a tight space, if ya hear what I'm sayin'

Go triple, you'll thank me later.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
shilo

A lock rite is a locker. it will lock both axles when power is applied.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #14
1976K5CHALET

HHmmm...did someone say triple stick?

A pop rite is your cheapest option. ARB's are nice but spendy...but thats what i did this time. I've done the auburn pro series LS with some good luck on 33's...but they don't cut when wheelin in the desert and rocks are involved for very long. Mine actually worked good enough to twist the drivers side shaft and pop out the u-joint cap when she was new. Pop rites are advertised as being 31" tires and below but its a mixed back out there...some people swear by them but in the rear of my 12 bolt with 4.10's and 33's all i did was break the pins so i went with a full time detroit and what a difference. Traction makes a huge difference.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #15
shilo

Yeah, my wife broke the pins in mine too. but that was in a cheasy amc 20.
But im still putting one in my front 60.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I guess with double or triple sticks,having a locker in front might work out pretty good.I could kick out the front drive in low-4 or just let the front pull when I need that.

Tim